Electric go kart

Quick question. I was wanting to build an electric go-kart and I was wondering about the progress of the electric version of the DF kit car as well as the price of it. If it won't be done soon, is there any way to get the chassis from DF goblin as well as all the necessary parts, but subtract the combustion parts?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
For the most part the “combustion” parts don’t come with the kit. I’m also unaware of a planned electric kit, but I may have missed it. There has been 1 Goblin built with a Tesla running gear.

A stage 1 kit is mostly just the chassis but you will still have to source some of the parts that would normally come with a Cobalt donor.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It looks like they have changed the kit description since I lasted looked. You would probably be better off to contact DF directly and discuss what you need.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Go to the order page and select through the options. I’d say automatic donor, 2.2 or 2.4 doesn’t matter, 4 or 5 lug is based on what hubs you’d want to buy, and then how you want the chassis configured. You don’t need to select any of the other options after that and it’d be a “stage 1” kit at that point.

DF isn’t developing an electric version of the Goblin as far as I know. The only one was the tesla goblin built by a college class for a project. @Ross did an interview and ride along in it I believe so he could tell you more I’m sure.

Thing to remember is that fitting the electric motors and batteries and controllers would be entirely on you and custom fabrication. The chassis doesn’t come with any mounting mount for this stuff natively, although some holes may line up coincidently.

Not saying it can’t be done, but if you’re not mechanically incline, you will have a really rough time doing this modification yourself. Unless you have a strong will to learn that is.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
But, the only thing is that I already emailed DF directly and they sent me this link to these discussions.
We can probably help talk through some of the details of what this will take, but I’m sure DF can help put a package together that gets you as close as possible without selling you more than you need.
I agree with r3drckt that you better know what you are getting into to undertake this. Pretty major fabrication project plus the electrical engineering side to make it work. I would suggest building one with a base cobalt engine and then swap it to electric unless you really know what you are getting into.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You have to understand, I'm sure they're overwhelmed with folks asking them to build a kit for everyone's favorite motor under the sun. If you were to actually place an order, I'd be more inclined to think they'll work with you on getting you the kit you'd need to build something electric. Unfortunately, this is very much in the territory of, if you have to ask how to do it, you probably can't pull it off on your own... for my $0.02, you're probably going to still need a Cobalt donor for some of the suspension, brakes, and steering gear, and at that point, why not build a Cobalt powered Goblin? Or build your Cobalt powered Goblin, then pull the Ecotec out and figure out how to get your Eluminator in there (if you even want to). But I'd guess they'd be willing to sell you just a chassis and the Goblin suspension.

Go to the order page and select through the options. I’d say automatic donor, 2.2 or 2.4 doesn’t matter, 4 or 5 lug is based on what hubs you’d want to buy, and then how you want the chassis configured. You don’t need to select any of the other options after that and it’d be a “stage 1” kit at that point.

DF isn’t developing an electric version of the Goblin as far as I know. The only one was the tesla goblin built by a college class for a project. @Ross did an interview and ride along in it I believe so he could tell you more I’m sure.

Thing to remember is that fitting the electric motors and batteries and controllers would be entirely on you and custom fabrication. The chassis doesn’t come with any mounting mount for this stuff natively, although some holes may line up coincidently.

Not saying it can’t be done, but if you’re not mechanically incline, you will have a really rough time doing this modification yourself. Unless you have a strong will to learn that is.
ok. thank you so much.

We can probably help talk through some of the details of what this will take, but I’m sure DF can help put a package together that gets you as close as possible without selling you more than you need.
I agree with r3drckt that you better know what you are getting into to undertake this. Pretty major fabrication project plus the electrical engineering side to make it work. I would suggest building one with a base cobalt engine and then swap it to electric unless you really know what you are getting into.
Ya. I was trying to get the chassis and the necessary parts just minus the combustion parts.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Fell into this thread and noted the date, 2 years and no (other) electric Goblin. Wishing and hoping it is still in process but not holding my breath. I am curious IF he Goblin'd at all?
I strongly believe there is nothing wrong with dreaming but I like to give the actual Finisher's their due! They not only started but they even finished! I'm not into tearing down thoughts and dreams, but actual dreams made real are AMAZING! Cheers! to Ross and other builders, I look up to you, you have achieved what many have only dreamed! It is inspiring to see from out here in the cheap seats!