Engine Cleaning and Preping

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My engine is corroded fairly bad. I've cleaned it with degreaser and power washed it, but the finish is terrible. What are you doing to clean the block back up or are you just repainting it? If you are repainting it, how far did you tear it down and mask it off? I have Eastwood ceramic engine paint in black that I'm thinking about shooting it with. Any special engine brightener you found that works well?

I started to tear it apart to clean more and ready for paint, but the first couple of T30 bolts on the top of the coils broke two T30 sockets! Ugh!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I just Super Cleaned mine, and called it good. It still has a layer of oxidation and areas of discoloration from dirt and grease, but it doesn't look too bad. I figured since I didn't want to paint the block, I wasn't going to spend a whole lot of time with a wire brushes trying to get things pristine looking. It will eventually go back to looking the same.

That's just me though. I must admit that Tony's block looks awesome, but that was a ton of patience and dedication that I couldn't bring myself to do.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Oh, and one thing about Super Clean is that if you don't wash it off REALLY good it will leave white spots all over. I knew this beforehand and used lots of water, but I still had a few. They come off without too much effort though.