Engines

BAR-AIR

I thought I had read somewhere that the Pontiac G5's with the 2.4 Ecotec had forged internal components. Can anyone confirm that? What years and models....
THX

Johvans

I think its the 2.4 in general. I read the same thing although I can't find the article again. If I was going to do it all over again that's what I would do as well. It gets you the better ecu for HP tuners as well.

John

Silverback

I've seen that too, forged or close to it. Maybe it was on alphafabindustries.com 'Think it was 2008 & before had the good crank. If anyone is interested I've got an '08 Pontiac LE5 said to have about 18,000 miles on it. Really clean and reasonably cheap.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I read 2007 and earlier. This being the reason many builders were snatching them up and adding turbos to put them in sand cars.

BAR-AIR

How about the Pontiac G6’s... was talking with a friend that has 3 G6’s all 2009 2.4 Ecotecs (32k,53k & 60k). None of those should be direct injected? And how do you tell which reluctor wheel (7X?)?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I read 2007 and earlier. This being the reason many builders were snatching them up and adding turbos to put them in sand cars.
I heard this as well. In 08 the rods were switched to powdered is my understanding.

Last edited:

Silverback

Brian, you're right. 'Found it on AlphaFab: "The early production [2006-2007] 2.4L LE5's are BOOST READY w/ Mahle hypereutectic aluminum pistons, forged rods, & nodular iron crankshafts”. I checked the invoice for my LE5, it is from a 2007 G6, built 09/2006.

Silverback

How about the Pontiac G6’s... was talking with a friend that has 3 G6’s all 2009 2.4 Ecotecs (32k,53k & 60k). None of those should be direct injected? And how do you tell which reluctor wheel (7X?)?
LE5's have variable valve timing, but not direct injection. 'Don't know about the reluctor.