Eric's Track Goblin - 06 SS/SC donor

Esstover

Need help!

Mating my F35 transmission back to the engine today. Got everything back together and no I didn’t forget the spacer.
Butttttt I didn’t do a great job of tracking what bolt goes where. I have a few different lengths that are the same thread type. I also have one that appears to be a ground stud. I also need to bolt on the passenger side motor mount and appears to be the same thread. So I’ve go the transmission bolted up but I’m not sure it’s with the right bolts. I tried to look through alldata but it mostly has details of the internals, I couldn’t find an exploded view that shows these bolts.

hoping someone more organized than me has this documented somewhere.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
A little late, but I would have probed the hole and made sure that the bolt doesn’t bottom out. Beyond that it doesn’t matter that much. I used new bolts by doing it this way using the longest bolts I could without them bottoming out.
Where the ground is connected isn’t that important. I just made sure that a ground was connected from frame to the trans and block.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I think the longer ones went to the bottom two holes the stud was the second up looking from the back in. Then the others were all the same.

Esstover

I think the longer ones went to the bottom two holes the stud was the second up looking from the back in. Then the others were all the same.
I currently have the longer ones on top because when I went to put them in the bottom they started the bind because they were pushing some crude out. Made me think the shorter ones went there. As you can see from the photos I currently don’t have the ground stud installed. I’m still unsure of where to put it. Looking at the manuals I’m thinking it might be G105 but I’m not sure. The engine already has a ground stud and the transmission housing does too.

if anyone is in the tear down process learn from me and take a lot more photos.

Attachments

Esstover

I currently have the longer ones on top because when I went to put them in the bottom they started the bind because they were pushing some crude out. Made me think the shorter ones went there. As you can see from the photos I currently don’t have the ground stud installed. I’m still unsure of where to put it. Looking at the manuals I’m thinking it might be G105 but I’m not sure. The engine already has a ground stud and the transmission housing does too.

if anyone is in the tear down process learn from me and take a lot more photos.
Found this is the engine manual (photo attached). Apparently you leave one of the top bolts out?!?

Attachments

Esstover

Big day today. My kit showed up. A little overwhelmed by all the parts and pieces. I opened each box, wouldnt say i figured out what each nut and bolt was for but i figured most of it out. Little confused about the pex tubing that was laying in the tunnel. I guess since we dont have Stage 2 or 3 videos that I'll have do to some forum digging to figure out what those are for. Below are my next focus areas, and I'll need some support.

1. Seat mounting - I bought amazon seats way back when with sliders. I know at least one other person on here used them. They are IKON motorsports. Ofcourse they dont have much for directions. I think I need to first understand how the typical Corbeau seats would go in if i would have ordered that. Anyone have photos of how the seat brackets mount into the frame, then the seat to the bracket?
2. Dis-assemble calipers for powder coating - i'm betting i can find some details on that on this forum somewhere.
3. Identify all the small parts that need to be powdercoated and photo them so i know what box them came from and where they go. Also want to make sure i get everything back that i send to be powdercoated.

while parts are getting powder coated...

4. clean wheel hubs and paint
5. my collapsible steering shaft is stuck. need to try and free that, or maybe I think it should collapse and I'm wrong.

Will post some pics later. It's easier to do from my phone.

By the way. Did anyone know they switched to plastic fuel tanks? and white fiberglass hoods? Not complaining, was just surprised.

Mahkoi

My steering shaft was stuck too. I put it in the vice and soaked it in pb blaster then heated it and soaked it again. I kept repeating doing that and trying to move it and it eventually freed up. If you do tho learn from me that eventually it will get filled with penetrating oil and will of course break free while it's hot and spray flaming hot oil all over. Or I've heard they're relatively cheap from rock auto.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. Froze steering shaft here too. Buy a new one and call it a day. I spent way too much time getting it movable and still a pain to deal with. New one made life easy.

ya. The tank is plastic, which I wish I had and the hood is white, which technically doesn’t matter since you’ll be painting or wrapping it.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
As far as mounting seats other than the Corbeau's, you're going to have to get creative. I did so with 8 feet of 1" galvanized signpost steel. There's some detail HERE.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Big day today. My kit showed up. A little overwhelmed by all the parts and pieces. I opened each box, wouldnt say i figured out what each nut and bolt was for but i figured most of it out. Little confused about the pex tubing that was laying in the tunnel. I guess since we dont have Stage 2 or 3 videos that I'll have do to some forum digging to figure out what those are for. Below are my next focus areas, and I'll need some support.
The pex tubing runs in the tunnel between the heat exchanger up front and the intercooler pump in the rear.

2. Dis-assemble calipers for powder coating - i'm betting i can find some details on that on this forum somewhere.
DF has a video on part prep and painting and I think the caliper disassembly is in there - it's been a while since I watched that one so I could be wrong.

5. my collapsible steering shaft is stuck. need to try and free that, or maybe I think it should collapse and I'm wrong.
I just bought a new one after reading everyone else talk about what a pain it was. I tossed my seized steering shaft and bought a new one on eBay like others have said.

By the way. Did anyone know they switched to plastic fuel tanks? and white fiberglass hoods? Not complaining, was just surprised.
Mine was the last one off the line to end 2021 and it was a plastic fuel tank, but not sure exactly when they started. I like that it saved me powder coating costs.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Yep. Froze steering shaft here too. Buy a new one and call it a day. I spent way too much time getting it movable and still a pain to deal with. New one made life easy.

ya. The tank is plastic, which I wish I had and the hood is white, which technically doesn’t matter since you’ll be painting or wrapping it.
My hood came black but I do have the plastic fuel tank. I agree with just buying a new steering shaft, they are around $35-40 (or cheaper) and not worth the fight IMO.

Esstover

Quick update. Following @escapepilot lead on the other caliper and just leaving the e-brake part alone. On the one I already jacked up I did manage to get it apart. I had to spin the cylinder out because is kind of cork screws into the e brake mechanism. Then there is a little cap that you pop out which holds a spring in. On the other end of the corkscrew is a notch that a small oblong shaped piece fits into. The shaft that goes out and connects to the e brake cable and spring has a notch in it that moves the oblong piece when it’s turns, which then moves the corkscrew that pushes the cylinder. I need to figure out how to get the spring compressed back with the cap on it. And I need to drill out the pin I sheared off and thread a screw or something in to replace it. Attached some pics of anyone wants to know how these things work. Bottom line is don’t do what I did, follow @escapepilot direction.

so the good news. Got my seat brackets welded in and my seats are temporarily in place. Fortunately I recalled reading a @Desert Sasqwatch post one day on angling the seats. My assumption is the offset of the DF tabs for there seats is relative to the angle I needed. Had a buddy out today and we worked up a jig and measured over and over again. I’m happy with how they turned out. If I decide I need any incline I can always add a spacer in the front.

Attachments

Esstover

When i look on RockAuto i see several steering shafts. Is this something I can go cheap on, or should I get a specific one?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I ended up with a dorman brand. I would doubt there is much difference between cheap and expensive on one of these.