Escapepilot’s 06 SS/SC Ext Track Build - COMPLETED

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Well….let’s just say I’m surprised it would idle and it wasn’t getting rich with throttle, it was getting lean. I guess I had started it and let it warm up too many times chasing coolant leaks without replenishing the go juice. $8 and two gallons and no more issue. :rolleyes:

RCK605

Did you forget to tighten the clamps on the air intake after the MAF? I did that after installing a whipple on a mustang. Stomach about fell out my behind from the way it was running on first start. Tightened the two clamps and all was right with the world.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
During my short initial trip through the neighborhood, I noticed the steering shaft u-joint hits the clutch pedal when it’s fully pressed. Is this normal and if so is it a live with it issue or is there an easy fix?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Most will hit the front bulkhead (formerly known as firewall), so you just trim a little bit of it.

is that shaft locked up or did it move freely? If it’s bound up it may be putting pressures where they shouldn’t be and it could hit the pedal. Plus you can loosen the pedal and try to move it over a tad, and do the same with the steering column. We are only talking fractions of an inch, but it may be just enough wiggle room for it to clear. After that you could possibly trim the pedal, but that would be last resort.

Brett

During my short initial trip through the neighborhood, I noticed the steering shaft u-joint hits the clutch pedal when it’s fully pressed. Is this normal and if so is it a live with it issue or is there an easy fix?
I had this issue and just pulled on the clutch pedal a little bit to bend the bracket and create some clearance from the shaft.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Most will hit the front bulkhead (formerly known as firewall), so you just trim a little bit of it.

is that shaft locked up or did it move freely? If it’s bound up it may be putting pressures where they shouldn’t be and it could hit the pedal. Plus you can loosen the pedal and try to move it over a tad, and do the same with the steering column. We are only talking fractions of an inch, but it may be just enough wiggle room for it to clear. After that you could possibly trim the pedal, but that would be last resort.
It barely cleared the bulkhead and I replaced the collapsible shaft with a new one. I'll try a combination of your suggestions and Brett's before trimming.

baustin

My build had the same interference with the steering shaft and clutch. I don't like angled pedals so I trimmed the plastic on the clutch pedal that hit the steering shaft. Once it was trimmed enough to clear, my pedal is straight. I then JB Welded a thick steel washer onto the clutch to still get good contact on the electrical switch at the bottom of the throw.

20190810_164013.jpg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Might as well do your e-brake while you wait for the inspector. It takes maybe an hour to do, super easy compared to actually building this beast.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Might as well do your e-brake while you wait for the inspector. It takes maybe an hour to do, super easy compared to actually building this beast.
I have lots to do while waiting. I do need to clean it up and get the metal painted once this cold spell passes. First night of freezing temps of the season...I am NOT ready for this.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I have lots to do while waiting. I do need to clean it up and get the metal painted once this cold spell passes. First night of freezing temps of the season...I am NOT ready for this.
I hear that. I drove the Goblin to work today in 36-degree temps. It was fine ... just have to dress right.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
So Pete and RePete showed up in the shop today and I’ll share in hopes of saving someone else a little trouble. If you choose to add a grille and choose to use some form of bracket like this, remember to leave clearance for the hood mounting plate since it mounts inside of the lip at the bottom and not outside. If you forget, you will either have to remove your bracket or cut them down like I had too. :rolleyes:

Mahkoi

So Pete and RePete showed up in the shop today and I’ll share in hopes of saving someone else a little trouble. If you choose to add a grille and choose to use some form of bracket like this, remember to leave clearance for the hood mounting plate since it mounts inside of the lip at the bottom and not outside. If you forget, you will either have to remove your bracket or cut them down like I had too. :rolleyes:
Sorry, I had my latch bracket installed before the grill brackets so it didn't cross my mind to mention the kinda share the same space.