Escapepilot’s 06 SS/SC Ext Track Build - COMPLETED

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don’t think there is any relation between starting and headlights. At least on the later models the low beam headlights don’t even run through the BCM and I would expect the older models to be similar.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I don’t think there is any relation between starting and headlights. At least on the later models the low beam headlights don’t even run through the BCM and I would expect the older models to be similar.
Hopefully, I can spend adequate time on it tomorrow and figure it out. Low beams are working. I have power to the left and right high beam fuses at the rear box but no power to the front high beam wires. Guess I have a date with Alldata (thanks, Ross).

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Made a little progress today in spite of myself. Wired up the headlights with weather pack connectors and managed to reverse the position between left and right so they are not interchangeable left to right until I rewire one side.

I need some help too…I couldn’t find an obvious reason it won’t crank now. Everything appears to have power except high beam headlights and no crank. Any chance they are related? It cranked fine before I wired in any lights.
Have you recently messed with your fuse box? I had a similar no-crank issue after working on my headlights and it was due to a fusebox seating issue.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The headlight harness ground can cause a no crank condition. It was a stumbling block for a few builders at first start.

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The headlight harness ground can cause a no crank condition. It was a stumbling block for a few builders at first start.

The grounds from the fuse box looked good and as mentioned before, it has started and ran. However, I went ahead and added a heavy ground from the chassis lug under the fuse box to the transmission and Presto!, it starts again. Sadly, that didn't fix everything as I do have high beams...wired to my mirror turn signals. And my turn signal wires are going to the front.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Who needs fancy name brand or knock off toe plates.... View attachment 35770
Very nice. As good as an expensive setup. Key is having two identical tape measures.
Here was one example of the string method. I tried it too. The DF diy is hard to beat though.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Finally got the first alignment done. It took a significant amount more time than I expected. The rear was fairly easy but I had a lot of trouble with the front. Initial caster measurement using the assembly video’s suggested 4 turns out on the eyebolt was -4.x degrees. It took all the way in on the top rear and lower front A-arms plus some out on the top front to get it to 8.5+. Camber wasn’t bad but my toe was way out - more the an inch toe in when I started. Everything seems close now so I’ll check it again after I can drive i5 around the block.

I ran into an “In Route” while doing the alignment. In route to doing the the front alignment, I had to stop and fix a leaking brake caliper. Best I could tell, it was leaking around the piston seal. Took apart and found a little grit under the seal so after a thorough cleaning and reassembly, it appears to be fixed.

As soon as the new seat belts arrive, I’ll schedule the inspection.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Post some photos of the heims on the arms. Something doesn't sound quite right, the DF instructions should get you very close.
I didn’t feel confident that my measurements were accurate because the flat Adam references in the alignment photos is pretty small, so I rechecked the caster and it’s off. Too much caster. Going to double check it all, but have an idea where I goofed. Since I didn’t have the toe-in anywhere close, wouldn’t that affect caster measurement?

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I did roll it out of the garage and had it moving under its own power for the first time! It runs like crap right now but at least it moves. I pulled the codes and only had 5. Two were for evap (P0443, P0449), one for AC (P0532), one P0452 fuel tank pressure, low voltage, and P0141 HO2 sensor Bank 1, Sensor 2. It seems to be extremely rich. Sooty plugs, can’t open throttle without it stumbling, surges when trying to idle. I also have no boost. If I can get it to rev to 3000, the factory boost gauge is still not showing boost but a small vacuum instead. Where to start with the diagnostics?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Since I didn’t have the toe-in anywhere close, wouldn’t that affect caster measurement?
Not really. Lonny always sets the caster first, then the camber, then the toe.

Two were for evap (P0443, P0449), one for AC (P0532), one P0452 fuel tank pressure, low voltage, and P0141 HO2 sensor Bank 1, Sensor 2
All of these seem like normal codes since we removed all that stuff.

surges when trying to idle.
Did you happen to clean the throttle body? I had to do the TB relearn process after I cleaned mine.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I figured out my engine issue but it was way too simple and somewhat embarrassing so let’s just say I was able to drive it around the block. At first, I thought what are these guys talking about with a twitchy throttle? It was smooth. But then I actually accelerated a little and WOW. This thing is going to be quick! And I completely understand the touchy throttle comments now.