F35 LSD Install

finazzoty

Is anyone aware of a video or video series outlining the LSD installation process into an F35. All I’ve been able to find (for the F35 specifically) is a disassembly video for the casing, disassembly of input shaft, and assembly of input shaft, but nothing including the installation of an LSD. I know it’s a pretty involved process, but would at least like to see what it looks like before I run off and spend a bunch of money on a shop to do it.

Alternatively, if no one knows of any videos for this, does anyone know of any shops around the Atlanta area that are capable of doing this installation?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not many, if any, on here from GA.

Freight would be expensive but DF installed the diff from my donor in a new F35 while they were still selling them.

Ross

Goblin Guru
DF installed a Quaife in a new F35 for me too. It is a different car after that. The back end of the car doesn't come around so easily now.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
I was told by email that DF no longer works on transmissions. I was hoping to have my F40 converted with a Wavetrac, but no such luck.

finazzoty

Kinda figured this all was going to be the case - it looks like I may actually not have another option than to install it myself.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think it's hard to diss-assemble and re-assemble the F35 without some special tools. When I pulled the diff from my broken donor, I tried to follow the service manual, but pretty quickly gave up. My case was cracked anyway so I went caveman on it.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
This may require some research on your part! There is a company in Marietta, Ga., Southern Gear. They sell driveline parts, rebuild kits, transmissions, bits and pieces. They may be able to supply you the name of a company/rebuilder they are selling F35 pieces and gears to?

finazzoty

This may require some research on your part! There is a company in Marietta, Ga., Southern Gear. They sell driveline parts, rebuild kits, transmissions, bits and pieces. They may be able to supply you the name of a company/rebuilder they are selling F35 pieces and gears to?
Oh this is a big find. Thank you much. I'm going to give these guys a ring

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Re-reading my post, I may have been unclear. They sell parts for many transmissions, I have no idea IF they sell or service the F35. Be sure to share any news, as I hear the F35 transmissions are getting hard to find in useable condition, used. I haven't heard of any sources for new or reconditioned units.

Last edited:

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I may make this sound easier said than done but really all you need is the service manual for the transmission with torque values and the pieces blown out so you know what goes on what and where. You know what? I just so happen to have this

Here:

The process is the same whether it's an F35 or F23, you could reference the vids already posted or check out the F23 LSD thread I posted and crowd source what you'll generally need to to. I was just like you and have now done this many times and can confidently say you should do it yourself. Now, that being said, the most difficult thing about this is you gotta figure out what shims you need if you don't have them from your existing LSD already. If you go down this route and diy it, I can probably dig up some links on calculating the shims and post them here too. lmk

Edit: I'll also sell you my F35 w/ LSD if you don't want to fiddle with it, I'm in Charlotte (pickup only :) ).

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Wow! A veritable font of information! Remember my motto: These things were built by human hands (and not necessarily specialized Human hands!) Which means it comes down to tools and following instructions. If you've built a Goblin you're already half way there as you have proven you can follow directions. Tools help manufacturers make things quickly and in great volume so these tools may not be cheap. If so, there must be a company out there rebuilding these and similar units. Start by asking local transmission repair shops. They like to stay busy so they hate turning possible clients away.

newbtrying

I am in the same position as OP, another win on the forums with your guys' help. Thanks! I'll probably contact my local transmission shop for a quote... if it's reasonable I may save myself some trouble and go that route. If not, I'll get out my impact guns lmao

*edit* - my local transmission shop quoted me $250 to slap the LSD i have into my transmission, so I'll be taking the easy route ;)

Last edited:

newbtrying

long story short, my local transmission shop decided not to actually work on my transmission.

So that leaves me to do it. I tore into the transmission today and found, like with the rest of my donor car's components, that there was some damage internally that needed repairing. I'm really struggling to find the parts for sale online, especially for the components that need replaced regardless of condition, such as the crush sleeve and 5th gear retaining ring. Do any of you guys have a list of part numbers or some advice on how to buy this stuff?

the things I can't find are:
-5th gear nut
-output shaft crush sleeve
-5th gear synchronizer sleeve

things I can find the part number to, but can't find to buy:
-transaxle cover gasket GM #90486235

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Yea that's the thing about the F35's, they can't really be rebuilt on a reasonable budget. The pdf's linked should help with atleast the names of the parts but you're kind of on your own for the part number itself. Keep in mind a lot of these gears and bearings and stuff need specialty tools to be pulled off/out/pressed on.

I would hit the cobalt for sale facebook groups and ask if anyone would sell their stuff complete first before buying new.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ouch! You may be better off finding another transmission, depending on $$$ for it versus the cost of the rebuild.
But, WerksRacing may have them, since they specialize in the F35. Not certain that anyone else, at least as far as a Dr. Goggle search goes, carries the F35 parts?

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
the things I can't find are:
-5th gear nut part 1 in 1st transmission diagram
12755195 NUT,FIFTH GEAR

5th gear nut available here

-output shaft crush sleeve Is this part 5 in the first diagram? pretty sure it is genuinesaab lists it as crush sleeve and it is the same part number
55352125 SPACER,THIRD & FOURTH GEAR

available here

-5th gear synchronizer sleeve part 24 in transmission diagram 2
55566795 SLEEVE,FIFTH GEAR SYNCHRONIZER

things I can find the part number to, but can't find to buy:
-transaxle cover gasket GM #90486235 shows in stock here

Attachments

Last edited: