Fenders or Not

Jareth

Goblin Guru
So my frame is due to be started in a few weeks so I want to finalize my order? Initially my order included the 205 fenders but I had them remove them from my kit after I decided on getting some 215x45x17’s

Now I’m wondering if I should get smaller tires and re-add the fenders?

Seems like most don’t run fenders, how bad do you get pelted with rocks? If you could have a do over would you get fenders?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm not crazy about the fenders. My tires will occasionally throw rocks but not bad.

Now that I think about it, I need to find all the parts for my fender kit and put them up for sale since I'm never going to install them.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
They only throw rock when traveling at slower speeds (<25 MPH) on dirty or gravel roads. I'm not sure if the fenders go low enough to stop all rocks.

Dsteinhorst

Lots of rocks and sand. I will probably add the fenders late this year or early next. Not so much to prevent rocks, but for the finished look.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
First drive around the neighborhood today.
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, LIVING IN FLORIDA WE ALSO GET ALOT OF SUGAR SAND THROWING UP ALSO,
I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WOULD HELP BUT I WILL PROBABLY GET THEM TO TRY MYSELF PLUS I LIKE THE LOOKS OF CAPTAIN FRANKS

PyroGuy923

It was so boring you have no details???? Need details...
Definately fun. No fun surprises other than having to adjust the shifter rods to get it to go into reverse.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, LIVING IN FLORIDA WE ALSO GET ALOT OF SUGAR SAND THROWING UP ALSO,
I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WOULD HELP BUT I WILL PROBABLY GET THEM TO TRY MYSELF PLUS I LIKE THE LOOKS OF CAPTAIN FRANKS
That was just the first drive. I have side panels and fenders to install which should help.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I spent a lot of time modify the front mounts to have the fender hug the tire more but still don't care for how they look.
I have been working on getting my fenders the way I want them...
View attachment 22617
Those looks great!

I gave up on mine after spending an entire weekend modifying the mounts to try to get them to hug the tire better. I wasn't able to get the fenders to sit any lower in the stock form so I modified them, took 1/2" out of the rods welded them back together, ground the welds down, bondo'd them and sanded smooth. Then proceeding to take a little too much off one of the fenders to the point where my skills with fiberglass couldn't save them, everything I tried made it worse, considered buying another set of just the front fiberglass fenders and trying again but I'm fine with how it looks without them and like others only notice the rocks in parking lots at low speed turning.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I spent a lot of time modify the front mounts to have the fender hug the tire more but still don't care for how they look.

Those looks great!

I gave up on mine after spending an entire weekend modifying the mounts to try to get them to hug the tire better. I wasn't able to get the fenders to sit any lower in the stock form so I modified them, took 1/2" out of the rods welded them back together, ground the welds down, bondo'd them and sanded smooth. Then proceeding to take a little too much off one of the fenders to the point where my skills with fiberglass couldn't save them, everything I tried made it worse, considered buying another set of just the front fiberglass fenders and trying again but I'm fine with how it looks without them and like others only notice the rocks in parking lots at low speed turning.

Made a big difference, Looks great