First SCCA Autocross (STL)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Kaleb ran in his first autocross this Sunday. This one is in St. Louis, MO. He was the only one in the EM class. While he has racing experience with ATVs and RC Cars, this was his first in a full size vehicle. The first lap, I instructed him not to be a hero and just run the course and make sure he knows it and he came in with a 54 second run, not bad for the first time. The second lap, he improved to 51 seconds, quite an improvement there. The third run, it got loose on him and he saved it from a spin but managed to take out a wall of cones. On the final run, we lowered the rear tire pressure to 14PSI (matching the front) and that made a huge difference and he completed this run at 49.685. The fastest cars were in the 45 seconds. Very proud of how well he was able to do in just the first attempts.

We also ran into Murcielago311 and DC Money there with their Goblins. It was great to meet them both. I wish I had time to check out their cars, but the runs happen back to back pretty quickly. Maybe one day they will join in and we can have a small class. I had a guy comment that he seen the Goblin on the registration and was excited to finally see one run.

Here is a video of it. Sorry so shaky, it's my phone zip-tied to a cheap mount. Next time I will have to upgrade the mounts. And it was extremely windy and you will hear on the south-facing drive.

One last note, make sure your helmet in SNELL certified. Just because you spent $500 on a helmet, doesn't mean you won't get stuck borrowing a nasty old one.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture6.PNG

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
It was nice to finally meet you and your son! Looks like the next event is in May, don't think I can make that one. The June one I might try to make it out to that one.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Y'all are just trying to be as cool as us with 3 goblins. :p

That's awesome, though. looks like a fast track that time. Get some pointers for the guys that have been doing this for a long time and have fun. I know we are having fun.