First ZZP remote tune failed ( Locked PCM

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Hooked up HPtuners and couldn’t down load info, PCM was locked so now I need to get another one
I guess My donor had a tune before and they locked it. ZZP thinks it’s a trifecta locked tune ,I guess they are pretty big into cobalt tuning.
So if any body has a extra PCM for a 2009 SS COBALT PCM they want to sell let me know please .

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would think that a dealer could overwrite it and reprogram it back to stock but I guess ZZP would have told you this if it was possible.
I would be very upset if anybody wrote a tune on my PCM that couldn't be overwritten again. I understand locking tunes so you can't steal the tune or the tuning within, but locking the PCM isn't ok.

SACTX

Hooked up HPtuners and couldn’t down load info, PCM was locked so now I need to get another one
I guess My donor had a tune before and they locked it. ZZP thinks it’s a trifecta locked tune ,I guess they are pretty big into cobalt tuning.
So if any body has a extra PCM for a 2009 SS COBALT PCM they want to sell let me know please .
Try to email trifecta and see if they tuned it. There's talk that they'll send you a cable as well....to get it back to stock tune

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Rock auto has them for $265

2009 CHEVROLET COBALT 2.0L L4 Turbocharged Engine Control Module (ECM Computer) | RockAuto

But will still need to be programed at the dealer for your VIN.
[/QU
Try to email trifecta and see if they tuned it. There's talk that they'll send you a cable as well....to get it back to stock tune

Thank you I will do that ZZP said they emailed them, But no answer from 2 emails maybe if the owner does that will work.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Thank you I will do that ZZP said they emailed them, But no answer from 2 emails maybe if the owner does that will work.
I received an answer very quick, they didn’t show a history of doing a tune for my Vin. So I guess I’ll do what ZZP suggested and buy there’s and they will do a basic tune to start with and go from there

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I went with Jefferey REILAND on Facebook cost 125 + 8 dollars shipping,
I tried to see if the the guy with the 10 cobalts for sale had one , and he said he only had whole cars,
I thought I read ad to call if you need anything. I guess I read it wrong.
But Jefferey once again hooked the Goblin Family up

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I thought I locked my ECM a couple of times. I had a heck of a time with it in the beginning. Software updates and things like that seemed to help but it would still fail from time to time until I finally figured out that my Aeroforce scan gauge that was still wired into the OBDII port was the culprit. It was intercepting communication and screwing with it. After unplugging it, I have never had another problem. It's a long shot but worth mentioning, don't connect anything else to the data ports while uploading.

I bought a used P12 of of eBay for $30. It was a great deal until it wasn't a P12, just looked like one. Even had writing on the back of it saying it came from a 20xx Cobalt but after I figured out what type ECM it actually was, I was able to read it and found the actual car by VIN on IAA and it was no Cobalt that's for sure!

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I thought I locked my ECM a couple of times. I had a heck of a time with it in the beginning. Software updates and things like that seemed to help but it would still fail from time to time until I finally figured out that my Aeroforce scan gauge that was still wired into the OBDII port was the culprit. It was intercepting communication and screwing with it. After unplugging it, I have never had another problem. It's a long shot but worth mentioning, don't connect anything else to the data ports while uploading.

I bought a used P12 of of eBay for $30. It was a great deal until it wasn't a P12, just looked like one. Even had writing on the back of it saying it came from a 20xx Cobalt but after I figured out what type ECM it actually was, I was able to read it and found the actual car by VIN on IAA and it was no Cobalt that's for sure!
Thank you for the info, I will definitely check it out.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Received my used PCM today , but of course I had to polish it up before I could install.
Now the speedometer cluster shows locked , So my next question is how do I get key to work do I have to do a relearn setup.
Most likely, yes. Do you know how to do it? It's all over the place if you search for it.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Received my used PCM today , but of course I had to polish it up before I could install.
Now the speedometer cluster shows locked , So my next question is how do I get key to work do I have to do a relearn setup.
Most likely, yes. Do you know how to do it? It's all over the place if you search for it.
I did the relearn and got light to turn off but it still want crank

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
That's good, means your data is working. Has it ever started before or is this the first time?
It ran great before I changed the PCM then I had to relearn the key, Did the PCM mess up the clutch switch some how.
Sorry I haven’t answerEd very good today been getting deliveries. But I do greatly appreciate the help. Thank you

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
How do you do that
I'm not sure. I have a 2007 and it uses just a simple switch on the clutch. From what I remember hearing is that you have to use the Tech2 at the dealer to do that but I'm sure there are other ways you can. You might try slightly different clutch positions during cranking to so see if that is the issue.