floor pan kick plate

ole mother

Interested in what people did for the floor pan as far as painting. Did people powder coat, spray bomb or other. I am thinking of doing a bed liner product for these pieces any advice.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I painted the kick plate. I did bed liner on the bottom of the floor, after an acetone cleaning of the aluminum. I should have waited longer than a day for it to cure, before mounting it, as it was soft, and easily damaged. A week later is was nice. I wouldn't recommend it on the top thou, as it is messy and gets on your clothes or shoes when it gets scuffed.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I've seen people weld in diamond plate and then have it powder coated with the frame. Probably the route I'm gonna go as well. Also seen people lay down skateboard deck tape to provide grip on the floor. Bed Liner will work nicely

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I had my floor powder coated the same color as the frame and then applied some grip tape.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Powder coated the floor black and the BCM kick plate to match the chassis. Then made floor mats and put grip tape on the kick plate.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
That heavy kick plate? How about an alternative way to make it 'grippy', Racer X cool looking and 30% lighter. And you can do whatever finish you like.:cool: Sorry, couldn't resist. :p
I resisted finishing mine for a long time because I wanted to use dimple dies for grip, but couldn't justify the expense of the tools necessary.

Brett

Powder coat but added skate board grip tape for traction.
I was wondering about powder coat on the thin material. Specifically, flexing during install and if that would cause any issues. Have any thoughts there?

Might do powder coat on my side panels when I get back on it.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I was wondering about powder coat on the thin material. Specifically, flexing during install and if that would cause any issues. Have any thoughts there?

Might do powder coat on my side panels and I get back on it.
I had DF do it. It’s a thinner coat with some texture. It seems to flex ok, but I didn’t push it when handling it for install.

Not sure how it would act on the side panels. I wrapped mine.

Goblin Graber

Might do powder coat on my side panels when I get back on it.
I’m going to get all my sheet metal powder coated to match the chassis for a cohesive interior look. I will wrap the side panels too, but just the outside and probably 1/4” on the inside so the frame tubes hide it. My sides came prebent in a shape really close. Powder coat should have no problem bending the little bit required to put on the sides.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I painted mine. I did put rivet-nuts in the bottom and changed the way the top is attached. That way I can remove it for access in just a few minutes.

Brett

I painted mine. I did put rivet-nuts in the bottom and changed the way the top is attached. That way I can remove it for access in just a few minutes.
how did you change the top mounting? I have taken my off a couple of times and it does take time.