Florida Registration

RichN

I'm heading down there next week with my NH Title.
Hoping to come back with FL plates; tags, if you live down there :)
I'll post the results.

RichN

No, I was missing a piece of paperwork when I was down there again last month.
I'm thinking of giving my mom power of attorney to finish registering it.
The clerk down there looked at the rest of my papers and NH title and didn't see any issues.
Since I didn't have the car with me, I needed the FL VIN verification form. That can be filled out by any police officer up here in NH.

Lethalcast

I've been working on getting the car registered and with Adam's help I can see light at the end of the tunnel lol. All three forms cnc posted are what is needed along with a certified scale weight of the vehicle and four photos of the vehicle from front,back and both sides. I just went down to a truck stop near me and had it weighed. I mailed all this to the ocala region for dmv inspections because it's not too far from me and Adam had gotten a hold of a guy that registered twelve kit cars with them. I had talked to my local dmv and my areas regional inspection office and they both weren't certain on how to register it. Mark at the ocala office was great and made it sound so easy. I will have to trailer the car out for inspection this coming Tuesday and then from there I can register it at my local dmv. The car will be registered as a 2018 and the only thing he was worried about was seatbelts, lights and turn signals. It was easy once I got in touch with someone that knew how to do this. Hopefully everything goes as planned on Tuesday and we will have one more car on the road!

Oldchevyguy

I've been working on getting the car registered and with Adam's help I can see light at the end of the tunnel lol. All three forms cnc posted are what is needed along with a certified scale weight of the vehicle and four photos of the vehicle from front,back and both sides. I just went down to a truck stop near me and had it weighed. I mailed all this to the ocala region for dmv inspections because it's not too far from me and Adam had gotten a hold of a guy that registered twelve kit cars with them. I had talked to my local dmv and my areas regional inspection office and they both weren't certain on how to register it. Mark at the ocala office was great and made it sound so easy. I will have to trailer the car out for inspection this coming Tuesday and then from there I can register it at my local dmv. The car will be registered as a 2018 and the only thing he was worried about was seatbelts, lights and turn signals. It was easy once I got in touch with someone that knew how to do this. Hopefully everything goes as planned on Tuesday and we will have one more car on the road!
Were you successful in getting your goblin titled?
Very Interested as I am building one in Bushnell Florida.

Astraeus

@Lethalcast was successful, and as of Jan. 7th, mine is registered in Florida as well. I went the route of ASPT or assembled from parts. Just follow the instructions in TL-41. There's a checklist at the end. You will need:
  • to fill out an application for a title
  • have the title for the donor car (i did not need to have it in my name)
  • the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin, provided by DF
  • complete the Statement of Builder form
  • a Bill of Sale for each of the "major" components of the vehicle, in this case the engine, transmission, chassis, hood, and floor pan. I used the Bill of Sale from my auction for the donor, and was able to get a receipt from Adam for just those components.
  • A certified weight slip. I drove mine to the local dump and they had a scale there. They weighed the car and printed me a certificate for free.
  • 4 photos of the completed car, one from each side, front, and back
I took all that to the FLHSMV in Deltona. It took a bit of convincing because "it looks like a dune buggy/sand rail" but was able to get them to agree to call it a roadster and title/register it for on-road use if I put on the side panels. Try to find the person that will actually make the decision to title it or not and figure out why exactly they say no if they do say no. Page 10 of the TL-41 was helpful for me because their sample vehicle is basically the same, just with more body panels. Rose Smith in Deltona was one of the people I dealt with, and is familiar with the Goblin now. After I put on the side panels and took new pictures, I went back up and submitted the paperwork. I paid them $40 and they gave me a VIN and a date for an inspection at my local DMV. Take that VIN and call your insurance company and get insurance. I use Progressive and it wasn't terrible once you find someone that knows what they're talking about. Once you have an inspection date and proof of insurance, you can go to your local DMV and ask for a 10 day temp tag. They will verify you have an appointment for inspection and give you a temp registration and license plate good for 10 days. Then day of the inspection I drove the Goblin to the DMV and met with the inspector. There was a bit of hesitation of their part as well, because again "it looks like a dune buggy" but politely inform them that it is in fact a roadster (as stated on the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) and has been approved for on road use by the FLHSMV. The only thing they looked at on mine was if my tires were DOT rated and that I had seat belts. Didn't check any lights/mirrors/horn etc. They attached a sticker to the chassis down near the drivers knee with the assigned VIN and I went inside to give them more money. The total I paid was almost exactly $800. That included taxes, title, registration, and a vanity plate. They gave me a regular Florida plate to use and will mail me the vanity one when it is ready. I've got almost 600 miles on mine since then. Let me know if you have any questions.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
@Lethalcast was successful, and as of Jan. 7th, mine is registered in Florida as well. I went the route of ASPT or assembled from parts. Just follow the instructions in TL-41. There's a checklist at the end. You will need:
  • to fill out an application for a title
  • have the title for the donor car (i did not need to have it in my name)
  • the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin, provided by DF
  • complete the Statement of Builder form
  • a Bill of Sale for each of the "major" components of the vehicle, in this case the engine, transmission, chassis, hood, and floor pan. I used the Bill of Sale from my auction for the donor, and was able to get a receipt from Adam for just those components.
  • A certified weight slip. I drove mine to the local dump and they had a scale there. They weighed the car and printed me a certificate for free.
  • 4 photos of the completed car, one from each side, front, and back
I took all that to the FLHSMV in Deltona. It took a bit of convincing because "it looks like a dune buggy/sand rail" but was able to get them to agree to call it a roadster and title/register it for on-road use if I put on the side panels. Try to find the person that will actually make the decision to title it or not and figure out why exactly they say no if they do say no. Page 10 of the TL-41 was helpful for me because their sample vehicle is basically the same, just with more body panels. Rose Smith in Deltona was one of the people I dealt with, and is familiar with the Goblin now. After I put on the side panels and took new pictures, I went back up and submitted the paperwork. I paid them $40 and they gave me a VIN and a date for an inspection at my local DMV. Take that VIN and call your insurance company and get insurance. I use Progressive and it wasn't terrible once you find someone that knows what they're talking about. Once you have an inspection date and proof of insurance, you can go to your local DMV and ask for a 10 day temp tag. They will verify you have an appointment for inspection and give you a temp registration and license plate good for 10 days. Then day of the inspection I drove the Goblin to the DMV and met with the inspector. There was a bit of hesitation of their part as well, because again "it looks like a dune buggy" but politely inform them that it is in fact a roadster (as stated on the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) and has been approved for on road use by the FLHSMV. The only thing they looked at on mine was if my tires were DOT rated and that I had seat belts. Didn't check any lights/mirrors/horn etc. They attached a sticker to the chassis down near the drivers knee with the assigned VIN and I went inside to give them more money. The total I paid was almost exactly $800. That included taxes, title, registration, and a vanity plate. They gave me a regular Florida plate to use and will mail me the vanity one when it is ready. I've got almost 600 miles on mine since then. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reviving this old thread for clarification: you didn’t have to wait for the Florida title to be generated (since Florida holds the Florida titles until you request them) in order to permanently register the vehicle?

I’m hoping to have mine completely built by the end of May and hoping to enjoy it before October when it starts getting cold in Northern Florida.

JPas914

R3drckt,
This thread might help:

When I titled/registered my Goblin, I had requested that the Tax office print the title at the registration appointment.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Reviving this old thread for clarification: you didn’t have to wait for the Florida title to be generated (since Florida holds the Florida titles until you request them) in order to permanently register the vehicle?

I’m hoping to have mine completely built by the end of May and hoping to enjoy it before October when it starts getting cold in Northern Florida.
You can pay like 17 dollars and have a title printed right then and there

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Correct, I did that with my donor when I transferred the title to my name before stripping it. What I was meaning is some of the other states people had to wait weeks or months for their titles to be approved and generated before they could register the goblin. Maybe it was waiting for the VIN to be generated? Does Florida generate the vin at the time of the inspection?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
From what I'm gathering from everyone's posts, at the inspection, they will put a VIN on the chassis and then approve your paperwork. So long as there is a VIN, the DMV will register the vehicle without the title present or in their system yet (because of the title paperwork is being processed).

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Does it get affixed to the car? by the DFKit manufacturer number maybe?
They put mine inside the car in front of shifter on tunnel cap. I tried to get him to put by DF stamp but he didn’t want to.
I felt like saying it’s my ————ing car put it where I want it.:)

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
From what I'm gathering from everyone's posts, at the inspection, they will put a VIN on the chassis and then approve your paperwork. So long as there is a VIN, the DMV will register the vehicle without the title present or in their system yet (because of the title paperwork is being processed).
I went to DMV that afternoon after my inspection and took care of everything and walked out with title and tag

JPas914

They put mine inside the car in front of shifter on tunnel cap. I tried to get him to put by DF stamp but he didn’t want to.
I felt like saying it’s my ————ing car put it where I want it.:)
They didn’t affix one to my Goblin. The Compliance Officer used the DF frame number as my vin.