Floyd's City #180 - 2006 SS/SC - 3rd Round

Floyd

This is awesome Floyd! I love to see all the 90% plus fine detail items I never got to make it further along. Only thing I'd mention is those are the 3rd set of control arms (thought they were finally matching). That's craziness. Took me a bit to find matching axles as well when I bought new ones of those at several of my local auto parts stores. I couldn't pin down if it was just different brands or what.

It is an absolute monster. Have you been considering autocross or any of the like in the future this year? I found that it helps find limits (safely).
I still have a long list of small things to do, and I have visions in my head for customizing a lot of things, but work has been keeping me extra occupied recently.

I do plan to get some time autocrossing it this year. I'd rather spin it out in a parking lot first. I haven't has a car with a large rear weight bias, so I'm interested to see what it does near the limit.

devianteng

I still have a long list of small things to do, and I have visions in my head for customizing a lot of things, but work has been keeping me extra occupied recently.

I do plan to get some time autocrossing it this year. I'd rather spin it out in a parking lot first. I haven't has a car with a large rear weight bias, so I'm interested to see what it does near the limit.
Where do you plan to autox it at? I think they have events in Lex, but that’s the only event I’ve found in the state.

Floyd

Where do you plan to autox it at? I think they have events in Lex, but that’s the only event I’ve found in the state.
I will go to the Lexington one. I'm lucky that they have the Lexington events near the horse park. It's only a few miles from where I live.

devianteng

I will go to the Lexington one. I'm lucky that they have the Lexington events near the horse park. It's only a few miles from where I live.
If all goes well, hopefully we'll see each other there late in this season, or next season!

Floyd

If all goes well, hopefully we'll see each other there late in this season, or next season!
Sounds good! I think we're probably the only ones in KY that could even be there right now. You'll get to see me making a fool of myself. Haha, I'm sure it'll be a long time before I even start to scratch the surface of what it's capable of. I have a lot to learn as a driver. Should be fun.

devianteng

Sounds good! I think we're probably the only ones in KY that could even be there right now. You'll get to see me making a fool of myself. Haha, I'm sure it'll be a long time before I even start to scratch the surface of what it's capable of. I have a lot to learn as a driver. Should be fun.
You probably have more seat time then me in the Goblin, so we’ll both be out there making fools of ourselves, haha.

Floyd

I've been busy over the last week. Nothing like an autocross event to prompt getting some work done. I have an autocross driving school on Saturday and a solo points event on Sunday.

Finally got the button panel all wired up.

I also got the steering rack limiters installed and I replaced the tie rods while I was at it. I also juiced up the ball joints after putting everything back.

Did a very minor front end toe alignment after changing those. I tried to install the new tie rods with the same threads showing against the tie rod end as the old. That helped a lot.
I put together the the things needed for a thorough string box alignment, but I ran out of time to go through everything. Sometime soon I want to go through and really take my time aligning everything.

Stayed up late tonight doing a lot of little work: tightening up bolts, changed the spark plugs, and adjusted the harnesses.

Another thing that I ran short on time to do was something that I was really looking forward to. I bought the billet shifter. After receiving it, I cleaned the parts and soaked them in evapo rust to knock off some of the surface rust. I got them all painted up and even hit the parts with a heater to quickly cure the paint in time.

Last edited:

Floyd

Speaking of autocross, I did participate in a solo points event about a month ago. I realized that I needed this driving school. I slow down too much for the turns. I essentially end up drag racing between the corners. I have to work on carrying more speed through the corners.

My time improved with every run, but I was still 10 seconds off from the fastest time of the day.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Other than instruction, it takes time and practice to get faster. Smooth is fast. these cars are different and take time to learn.

Floyd

Time to feed some wideband signal into this old ECU for data logging in HP Tuners.

Used a $1 Delphi pigtail to make an adapter harness and hook my wideband signal directly to the wiring harness.

Side note, save yourself some headache and make sure to assemble your Deutsch connectors correctly, unlike me.
If you put the pinlock into the wrong end, it can get completely jammed.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That formula ({wideband voltage}*2)+10 will get you close to stoichiometric air/fuel ratio for gasoline.
Where did you get that formula from?
Are you getting a 0-1V signal from the wideband, or a 0-5V signal?
I googled it to find other formulas, and was able to find this thread on HP Tuners. Post #9 has these images:

It shows VCM Scanner to have a Transform function. I couldn't find this on my version of VCM Scanner, but maybe it is because I'm not connected to the car right now.

It has transforms for a bunch of different wideband sensors.

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
This is what I have for porting my AEM 0-5V signal into the AC pressure sensor wiring to get Lamda output:

To get the error of the measurered to the commanded I have this math:

I previously tried to reference the AC to lamda equation (61000) but it would not take so had to nest the lamda into the lamba err calculatio so it looks messy but it works.

Joe

Floyd

Got the billet shifter installed. The old shifter was had a weak/rusty return spring and the whole tunnel cap would flex and the shifter would move when pushing over from center. It caused more than a couple mis-shifts. I sized up the holes on the tunnel cap and also drilled and installed M4 rivnuts into the tunnel walls. It shifts 100x better than before. I also got some adapting hardware and adapted a cheap metal shift knob onto the top. Easy enough to go back to the leather, if I change my mind.

While tearing things apart, I also took the time to soak the old rusty handbrake in evaporust and give a coat of paint. It cleaned up really well.

Floyd

I also recently got a P2128 "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit" code.
So I replaced the accelerator pedal with an ACDelco OEM replacement and it greatly improved the throttle.

It's much less jerky at low speeds, and also jerks less when slightly bumping the pedal while hitting bumps on the road. I can only assume that the signal coming from the old pedal wasn't as smooth. I did not need to do a pedal relearn procedure. The new one seems to be working well.

D&dgoblin69

I also recently got a P2128 "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit" code.
So I replaced the accelerator pedal with an ACDelco OEM replacement and it greatly improved the throttle.

It's much less jerky at low speeds, and also jerks less when slightly bumping the pedal while hitting bumps on the road. I can only assume that the signal coming from the old pedal wasn't as smooth. I did not need to do a pedal relearn procedure. The new one seems to be working well.
I’d check throttle body buttery fly for carbon buildup and relearn idle back to zero