Fozda's Standard Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #196

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Pardon my ignorance, but would adding some preload to these springs help at all? I'm not against getting new springs, just wondering if there's anything I can do quick to help for the event on Friday night.
Preload in essence, other than zero preload, just changes the ride height. The car compresses the springs, the preload doesn't "pre" compress them, the weight of the car does. If you adjust your preload all the way, you won't have any shock left and it will sit really high.

George

Goblin Guru
Some of my thoughts and views on the Goblin suspension. First when setting up a car set it up for the driver in the beginning, some drivers like a loose car ,some feel more comfortable with a little push.
The rear suspension is the hardest part to manage. Chassis roll is bad for rear camber for max performance.
To limit chassis roll my preferred way is to try and control most of the roll in the front suspension. The tires have the least amount of load so they can handle a lot of the roll couple weight. Stiffer springs help with the roll and anti drive on hard braking. I like a little stiffer spring with a front anti roll bar. When built as designed kept lifting the inside front wheel off the ground in autocrossing. By limiting body roll the rear camber is better managed. Rear spring rates should be used to create the balance the driver is comfortable with.
On my car thinking about adding a very light wheel rate rear bar, maybe on 50# per inch at the wheel or less to see if it improves.
If you want to use a simple interactive representation of the rear suspension go to https://www.racingaspirations.com/apps/macpherson-geometry-calculator/
Plug in you measurements and experiment. If you can measure the maximum degree of roll you can achieve autocrossing would be helpful for the simulation.
You can look through my blog for things I have tried and some that have failed.

Brad

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I'm curious what the anti-sway bar in the rear with the softer springs would do. You put the softer springs in the rear to cure some of the oversteer but wonder if the bar would help with some of the roll without bringing back all of the oversteer.
It does. At least for my driving style and without an LSD. Helps keep weight on that inside tire.

Current setup.
Front: 600# front springs, 8 clicks from full soft.
Rear: stock replacement struts, Stock '05 SS springs (1 coil removed), 18mm sway bar.

It is stiff up front but it handles really well and builds confidence. It's starting to feel like racing a shifter kart. Not quite at the same grips levels yet though.
Front can skip across washboard surface, creating understeer.

If I could change something: I would like to get the BC coilovers with with a slightly stiffer spring rate than I have now. Firm up the dampening a little in the rear to slow down weight transfer from side to side during quick directional changes.
Try 500# springs in the front.

This might not be for everyone, most likely not very street friendly.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Had the last(maybe) autocross of the year today. Finally got to meet up with @Dsteinhorst at an event! Just took all season to pull that off...
All of the changes that I've made to the suspension seem to be helping significantly so thanks to everyone who has offered tips and suggestions!
PXL_20201011_191054252~2.jpg

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Just in case people keep asking... This is EXACTLY why we get track\halo frames! We use an artificial tree and I will 100% be doing this next Christmas!
This and being able to haul tools and whatnot with me to events! I've never purchased a Christmas tree so we figured it was time to give it try! This is the only vehicle we own capable of hauling a tree! Lol

Fozda

Goblin Guru
What?! Are you all crazy? This thing is meant for racing, not hauling trees. Next thing you know, someone will put a receiver hitch on it and tow something.

[Please read with satire]. ;)
Oh I definitely read that with satire! I know it's already been done but hitch receiver is already on the list of projects for next year! My favorite part about this car is how freeing it is! You can do whatever you want, however you want, and just enjoy the hell out of it!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Oh I definitely read that with satire! I know it's already been done but hitch receiver is already on the list of projects for next year! My favorite part about this car is how freeing it is! You can do whatever you want, however you want, and just enjoy the hell out of it!
You guys are making me want to put a hitch on just because. I don't have anything I really NEED to tow. But I'm sure I can find a reason for one of the four trailers we have. The best would be one of the jet skis.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I made one out of OSB need to redo sometime soon. Our sites are hilly and bumpy and the bolts holding it on get the heads scraped off. Thinking about mounting some skateboard deck rails underneath to slide on instead of my bolts.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Could you countersink and use tapered head bolts?
Was not sure if the osb would just stress crack there. The OSB was originally just a template that will be cutout in steel and welded to my metal intercooler duct , will still mount some deck rails and use the tapered bolts+finishing washers for a clean look.

Last edited: