Fozda's Standard Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #196

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I was thinking doing the same plastidip route for my hood. What kind of prep is needed for the hood before you spray color?
I just cleaned it really well with DYC's pre-dip spray. Not sure how it'll hold up with the gel coat but the dip is cheap enough to experiment!

Murcielago311

I would think it would hold up fine. I used white on the chrome badges on my white Mazdaspeed3 and it held perfectly for years. Got a little dingy is all, which probably won't happen with red.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I would think it would hold up fine. I used white on the chrome badges on my white Mazdaspeed3 and it held perfectly for years. Got a little dingy is all, which probably won't happen with red.
I agree, this stuff is the least picky coating you could ever use. My wife's Civic was dipped and that thing sat outside for 5 years in the heat, sun, snow, ice, -20 temps. We went right over about 4 different surfaces and none of them had any issue holding up. That thing even survived a hail storm that destroyed the house!

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The Goblin made it the 40 mile drive home down the interstate from the tuner this evening! What an awesome drive! Can't wait for AutoX this weekend! It made 250hp and tq on the Mustang Dyno. I told him to keep it super conservation and it's on 91 so it definitely could have made quite a bit more power but that wasn't the plan. Gotta have somewhere to go from here!
FB_IMG_1594245192500.jpg

received_616983345601442.jpeg

lksohm

250 to the wheel makes a darn strong car I'd say!
What mods were made to get to that point?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
If you posted it previously, I missed it. What size pulley and injectors?
It's a 2.7 pulley and 80# injectors. I got them from overthetopperformance. I went overkill on the injectors and pump so that I can make more power and switch to E85 if I want without having to buy the stuff again.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Are you running race gas?
For my 06 SC, I have a 2.7 pulley, 82# Bosch injectors for an E85 tune.... but was planning on the 2.9" pulley for 91 octane gas.
You are ahead of me, as those parts aren't installed on my LSJ yet.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Are you running race gas?
For my 06 SC, I have a 2.7 pulley, 82# Bosch injectors for an E85 tune.... but was planning on the 2.9" pulley for 91 octane gas.
You are ahead of me, as those parts aren't installed on my LSJ yet.
No sir, just 91. Thought about doing 93 so he could put more power in it but it can be hard to find 93 at times so it was safer to do 91. I'd like to switch to E85 some day but I'm worried about it only having 9 gallons. I'm not sure I'll make it all the way to an event and participate all day on 9 gallons. Once we get the roof rack figured out then I can think about switching. If I did it again I'd go with the 2.9 pulley so that I wouldn't have to have the snout machined. I have a tendency to go overboard with the pulley size though! I did the same thing on my other car but that thing's a blast to drive too!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Are doing some kind of endurance racing?
My stock tank is 10 gallons, and there is no limit on how much fuel I bring in an extra gas ethanol can.
Truthfully, I can't autocross with a full tank of fuel without it spilling during hard corners... and I don't want the extra fuel weight.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Are doing some kind of endurance racing?
My stock tank is 10 gallons, and there is no limit on how much fuel I bring in an extra gas ethanol can.
Truthfully, I can't autocross with a full tank of fuel without it spilling during hard corners... and I don't want the extra fuel weight.
I plan to do time attack style racing at a couple somewhat local tracks. I don't want to have to rely on someone else bringing fuel for me so once we get the roof rack figured out so that I can haul more fuel with me then I'll probably make the switch to E85. A lot of the events are roughly 35-40 minutes away so I'm sure I'll have enough fuel unless I switch to E85 right now. I am a bit worried about fuel slosh and spillage. Just have to tackle that stuff along the way.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I did buy the tow package but I haven't installed a hitch on the other race car yet so we'll see which happens first! Lol

Justin

I really like your hood looks like it came out great. I looking into dipping my hood and sides panels too instead of wrapping them. I was wondering did you put down a grey base coat before the red or is it okay to just spray over the black without a lighter color base coat?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I really like your hood looks like it came out great. I looking into dipping my hood and sides panels too instead of wrapping them. I was wondering did you put down a grey base coat before the red or is it okay to just spray over the black without a lighter color base coat?
I sprayed right over it with the red. With dip you really want a good 5-6 coats so you can pretty much go over any color with any color unless there's a specific effect you're going for.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Also got the hood coated and windshield tinted today.

View attachment 15391
I too am considering the DYC route. The cost of entry is a little higher for me because I don't have a sprayer and would have to source one.

How much did you go through, coating your hood? I sent them a picture of a Goblin and asked how much it would take to cover the hood, side panels, and engine cover, and they told me I need a medium kit at minimum, and I would pay the iron price if I didn't lay down a base coat of gray first. (Medium kit being 2 gallons of base, 3 gallons of top)

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I too am considering the DYC route. The cost of entry is a little higher for me because I don't have a sprayer and would have to source one.

How much did you go through, coating your hood? I sent them a picture of a Goblin and asked how much it would take to cover the hood, side panels, and engine cover, and they told me I need a medium kit at minimum, and I would pay the iron price if I didn't lay down a base coat of gray first. (Medium kit being 2 gallons of base, 3 gallons of top)
That's way too much dip! I used less than a gallon to do the whole hood so for everything you'd be fine with 2 gallons total. I've sprayed entire vehicles and never used 5 gallons!