Frank's Florida Street Goblin Build (#227) - 06 SS, 2.4L donor

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Well here we go. I'm a 66 year old US Navy Submarine Veteran with a lot of time on his hands. Decided I need a project to keep me busy and what could be more cool that to build your own car. I spent time on Insurance Auto Auctions, Inc (IAA) & even paid their $200 fee to find a donor. After finding a 2009 SS I tried to bid on it and was told that I can NOT use IAA if I lived in Florida. They say I will get my money back. Then I tried to hire an Auto Broker to do the deal and that was more wasted effort so I just gave up. Then I looked on Coparts and did not find anything there. Next it was off to Craigslist with no luck searching for a week or so. Time for a new approach.

Then I just Googled "Cobalt Florida for sale" and started going thru the list. After maybe 30 minutes I found a nice looking 2006 SS (non SC/TC) 2.4L for sale 180 miles south of me (picture attached). It's a bit high on mileage, over 200K but I pulled a CARFAX and it has been well maintained and never wrecked. Put a small refundable deposit on it today. That brings you up to date as of today 18 July, 2020. I'm good friends with a local guy that owns a Concrete business & I can use his car trailer to pick it up this Tuesday. More to follow .....

Attachments

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You'll find a lot of help on the forum here. The build videos are invaluable, make sure to watch them if you haven't already. Even though it may have higher mileage on it, if it's been maintained well, it should be good. However, plan to do the timing chain, guides, guide bolt and tensioner! They are a must at lower mileage and a ticking time bomb at higher mileage. Plenty of discussions on here about them, but ask questions if needed.

This is a perfect project for you. There is always something to do but not overwhelming.

B.T.W. That was me joking about picking up your donor on Monday.

Welcome to the forum!

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I know, I caught the joke. Actually pretty funny. Glad I found this place. Luckily I am a decent mechanic with a nice shop at my house. Looking forward to the challenge.

95Blitz

Glad to see you found a donor your happy with and could buy... Still waiting on mine.... I will be keeping an eye on this build thread.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Trailer is ready to go. My trailer (in the background) is just a bit too small so I borrowed this from a good friend and local concrete contractor. Hope to pick up the donor car tomorrow morning (21 July 2020). Three car garage behind the trailer is where I will be doing the magic.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Trailer is ready to go. My trailer (in the background) is just a bit too small so I borrowed this from a good friend and local concrete contractor. Hope to pick up the donor car tomorrow morning (21 July 2020). Three car garage behind the trailer is where I will be doing the magic.
It's a fun journey. I myself knew (maybe still know?) very little about cars, but if I managed, anyone can. I would have been better off without some of the hurdles I faced, but I guess it's all part of the fun.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
you may need to find a sloped driveway or something to negotiate the car onto that trailer. You may want to bring some boards. I had to drive my donor up onto a curbed area and then onto the trailer because the ramps were not long enough to create a gentle enough slope. Cobalts do not have a lot of clearance and have a short wheelbase. :)

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Made it home with the donor. Engine is very clean so I am wondering if it has been changed. I am going to get a ZERO time (new) 5 speed from the owner of DF Kit cars, Lonny. The transmission in the car seems fine but I might as well start out with a known quantity. Also considering getting a new short (or long) block since there is so much unknown about the donor engine. Not sure on the engine yet but I have time to ponder that some more. Will also drop in a new clutch just to be safe.

Attachments

Last edited: