Front brake numbers

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Pulled this from another thread

These are the calipers that I received for my SS/SC build, with no parking brake:

Duralast:
18-B4880A - Front Left
18-B4881A - Front Right
18-B4880 - Rear Left
18-B4881 - Rear Right
My 18-B4881A box contained the drivers front caliper but it was open, the 18-B4880A box was taped shut but has a mystery caliper in it. What number caliper is supposed to go where? Did I have a left caliper in a right side box, or is askiles wrong on his sides for part numbers?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
No matter what you work on, the bleeder valve goes in the up position (unless you work on a Ducati :rolleyes:). That’s the way to tell what is right and left caliper.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
No matter what you work on, the bleeder valve goes in the up position (unless you work on a Ducati :rolleyes:). That’s the way to tell what is right and left caliper.
Yes, I know that. I need to know what the actual number is for each side. Askiles post says 18-B4881A is front right, but my box 18-B4881A was a left front caliper. Was it boxed wrong or was askiles post wrong? I need a right front caliper now

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Can’t help you much there, yet. I haven’t got that far in my build. most of my brake boxes were all tore up, but I can take pics of the numbers tomorrow when I get back out there. That still won’t tell you what goes where, but if numbers and contents are correct.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
IIRC they are brakes from a base model cobalt right? I'm pretty sure I used pads for them.

This is what I used on my first goblin

POWER STOP Z23956 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} (Premium) Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber-Ceramic with Hardware Info
Front; LS Model; LT Model

Nuker-

kalishek

When working at auto parts store, quickly learned that part in box may or may not be the actual part. That is even before a jobber returns an "unused" part with some junk he had laying around shop. Best advice: Remove part and take it with you to parts store, then compare your part with new part. Make sure they match exactly. When buying on-line use credit card for payment so you can despute charge if given the wrong part.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Yes, I know that. I need to know what the actual number is for each side. Askiles post says 18-B4881A is front right, but my box 18-B4881A was a left front caliper. Was it boxed wrong or was askiles post wrong? I need a right front caliper now
After being in the auto field for 30+ years I have found parts store rebuilt calipers boxed wrong more than they are correct. I have seen the wrong one completely, sides swapped, wrong brackets, and one that was in a sealed bag that was rusty and grease covered and definitely not rebuilt.

The best and quickest way to figure out if those numbers provided by Askiles are wrong is look up a base cobalt at the parts store web site.
According to Advance auto parts 4881 is Right front

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
After being in the auto field for 30+ years I have found parts store rebuilt calipers boxed wrong more than they are correct. I have seen the wrong one completely, sides swapped, wrong brackets, and one that was in a sealed bag that was rusty and grease covered and definitely not rebuilt.

The best and quickest way to figure out if those numbers provided by Askiles are wrong is look up a base cobalt at the parts store web site.
According to Advance auto parts 4881 is Right front
So do need a 4880 then for a cobalt left front for the goblins right front? Were the cobalt front calipers trailing instead of leading like they are on the goblin?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
So do need a 4880 then for a cobalt left front for the goblins right front?
You need one of each of these
18-B4880A - Front Left Driver side
18-B4881A - Front Right Pass side
What they say is where they go on the car.

You apparently had 2 calipers that where boxed wrong as usual

From what I can understand you have a left front caliper in your hands correct? If so you will need the 18-B4881A - Front Right Driver side caliper