Front coilover bolt torque specs

Tim Moland

I have a squeek that has developed in my front suspension. I have disassembled the entire suspension and lubed every Heim joint with dry teflon lube. No help. I think the squeek is coming from the lower coilover bolt itself. So in the processes of re-torquing the bolt, I noticed in the build videos, it says to torque to 30 ft/lbs. But every other 1/2" bolt is at least 80 ft/lbs. Is there a reason why these would not be torqued to at least 80 ft/lbs. They are grade 8 bolts so really they should be tightened even more then 80 ft/lbs. Any help is appreciated.

Tim Moland

I'm heading out to check into that scenario. In the meantime, any know about the torque for the coilover mount bolts?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Look here.

Tim Moland

That thread contradicts itself. The chart in the beginning of thread shows 1/2" bolts being torqued ~80 ft/lbs. But the list of all the torque values from the videos shows 30 ft/lbs. I'm aware the videos have had inconsistencies, so that is why I am asking if the video turque value might have been a mistake.

Tim Moland

Here is what I've learned so far. I think I know why we torque the coilover mount bolts to 30 ft/lbs. I tried to disassemble the lower bolt and could not remove the bolt out of the mount. Turns out, if you over tighten the bolt, the aluminum spacers will crush and flare out internally and get stuck on the bolt.
20190902_232057.jpg
20190902_232110.jpg
20190902_232113.jpg

Still have not gotten anywhere with the squeek issue. I inserted a punch to take place of the lower bolt and I still have the issue, so on to the other powdercoated areas.

Attachments

Tim Moland

Update... I completely disassembled the front left suspension(the only side that has the noise issue). I removed all powder coat from the mounting surfaces where the heim joints rest on. Lubed up all the joints again with dry teflon lube and reassembled. No squeek! For two trips, then back to squeeking again. Very frustrating, especially since it's only that one side. The only other thing I can think to do is switch the coilover with the right hand side to see if it's the coilover itself. Any other suggestions?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wonder if the dry teflon is not staying in the heim joint. Try a grease, see if it works better... not as optimal as dry lube, but if it works, you know where the issue is. You can wash grease out if you want to go back to dry lube.

Lethalcast

I went through the same thing and it ended up being my rod ends. I bought some Aurora bearing ptfe rod ends and not only did it stop squeaking but the steering is so much smoother.

Tim Moland

I went through the same thing and it ended up being my rod ends. I bought some Aurora bearing ptfe rod ends and not only did it stop squeaking but the steering is so much smoother.
Are you saying you replaced all the heim joints with a different rod end?

Lethalcast

I just replaced the 4 outter, sorry should have been more specific. My squeaking was bad and annoying. I could put dry lube on and be good for maybe one ride and then back again. I got these on and not one squeak anymore.

Tim Moland

I just replaced the 4 outter, sorry should have been more specific. My squeaking was bad and annoying. I could put dry lube on and be good for maybe one ride and then back again. I got these on and not one squeak anymore.
Would you happen to have a part number for those?

Lethalcast

Ya its xamt-10. I had problems with squeaking but that turned into steering difficulty. It would cause the car to dart some on rough parts of the road and the steering feeling was horrible. I put these on and it's a whole different world. Just dont lube them at all. I've probably put over 3k miles on them with no squeaking and the steering feeling is awesome.

Lethalcast

The ones df uses are around $30 I think. They actually get a lot more expensive. I totally understand the hesitation. I too felt the same way. Mine were shot and I had nothing to lose. I had scaring on the race where the metal was touching each other and they were so stiff. It made the car hard to drive. If I hit a rough spot the car would dart some from the stiffness letting go and my hand putting more pressure than needed to keep the wheel straight. I took the plunge and bought these. The race is completely encompassed in ptfe on these and just moving them by hand I could tell a difference. Once I got them on the car it was a night and day difference. Granted I probably screwed my originals up by lubing them but the squeaking was so annoying. These ones for sure should not be lubed at all and I haven't nor do I need to because they actually feel even better now since i put them on.

Lethalcast

Yeah DC those are the same ones that come with the kits I think. They have an injected nylon race and the auroras are self lubricating ptfe lined. FK racing does also have some PTFE lined ones.

Lethalcast

Yeah that's a better price point! You could just throw on four of these from NMBB and call it day :p

ARHTL10ECR

5/8

3/4 - 16 R.H.
$146.90

Last edited:

Justin

Do the Aurora rod ends feel better than the stock ones before you started to have problems with them? I wonder if it would be worth it to replace the 8 inner rods joints as well