Front cover

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Pretty normal for a high mileage car to have an even layer of oil on it like it does. That cover though with it peeling like paint makes it look like it was neglected a few times on oil changes though.

Here’s some pictures of my parts when I dropped them off at the machine shop to be hot tanked and jet washed. You can see the even layer of burnt on oil, but none of it is peeling like paint.

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Yours should be fine none the less. If you don’t plan on doing a full rebuild, then it’s not worth the effort of a full tear down to clean the caked on oil.

jayrolls

Ok, not planning on a full tear down. I am going to replace the front cover and oil pump. The crispy part kinda had me worried. I think once it’s running again I will have the engine flushed or run some SeaFoam and try to clean it up some. Thanks.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Looks normal. I worry if I see black caked on residue... but that brown color looks pretty normal to me.

TravMac

Compared to the gm high feature v6 i helped tear down last week, that cover looks spotless. Just make sure any of that flaking oil residue is wiped down before reinstall and you should be good. And keep running a good oil!

PXL_20210707_194112699.jpg