Front End Heim Joints

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
This post got me thinking.
The heim joints used for the spindle pivots are able to be greased. Or at least the ones I received with the kit are.
On the threaded end, the very bottom, is a small grease hole. Using a grease gun with a rubber tip attachment, press against this hole and apply grease.
What one could do is build a threaded cap with a zerk fitting that threads into the A-arm back side from where the heim joint threads into. It would be a lot easier to grease, like a regular ball joint. I guess it could be plastic as it won't take a heat.
A threaded plastic pipe plug might work.
Hmm, a trip to Home Depot might be in order.
please post pics of this when done!

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
This is what I came up with. I could only find 2qty aluminum blue caps locally and were a little pricey. I have some have caps on order that I found less expensive and already in black. Ordered enough to make 3 sets, so I could have two sets available if anyone might be interested.
Due to clearance, the lower control arm grease cup will require unbolting the shock at the control arm and rotating it 180 degrees so the dampener dial is facing inboard.
20200914_145749.jpg

20200914_145718.jpg

20200914_145442.jpg

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Is this going to be the squeak solution once and for all?????
Before and after report, please.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Is this going to be the squeak solution once and for all?????
Before and after report, please.
Well, I hope so. They'll be lubed for sure with grease in its "reservoir". I dont have a squeak now so it'll be hard for me to tell. I haven't put the miles on like some. Only a few autocross's and drives around the neighborhood.
I'll post some info once I get the the other ones built and installed.

Jcas

Well, I hope so. They'll be lubed for sure with grease in its "reservoir". I dont have a squeak now so it'll be hard for me to tell. I haven't put the miles on like some. Only a few autocross's and drives around the neighborhood.
I'll post some info once I get the the other ones built and installed.
Could be the answer but the newer joints do not have the hole in the center. I have the passengers side creaking. The new joints have a screwdriver style slot to add grease to. But they where designed to not be serviceable so looking at the grease able style. Or I may experiment and drill and tap and add a zerk to my current joints

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The best way to lube them is to lift the front of the car, remove one of the shock mounts to allow full travel of the suspension and spray lube in the ball joint while moving the suspension up and down. I would recommend a very light silicone spray lube, but everyone has their favorite. Once lubed, they usually never squeak again. Ours has never squeaked since lubing the first time on both builds.

KD0AXS

After some searching on Google, this seems to be the most recommended lube for this type of joint. $11 and change for a 6 ounce bottle, but you only need to use a few drops so it should last a long time. I picked up a bottle and it definitely seems to make the joints move easier.

Tim Moland

But for how long? Have you drove it very far since you lubed the Heim joints. I use Dupont non stick dry teflon. It works as well, but only for a few trips, then it's back to squeaking.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
For lack of a fancy name, new grease caps have been built.
Wait, maybe this acronym would work. ASC (Anti, Squeak, Cap) or AGC (Anti, Groan, Cap) depending on what noise your heims are making.
Now to install.
20200927_111657.jpg

Jcas

Does your heim joint accept grease from the ends? If they do did you drill them to take grease. Mine do not have a hole in that end but you have given me an idea if I don't sell it this weekend

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Does your heim joint accept grease from the ends? If they do did you drill them to take grease. Mine do not have a hole in that end but you have given me an idea if I don't sell it this weekend
I didn't drill then, they came that way. All depends on the manufacturer. I've searched and located some heavy duty heims that have grease fittings and are adjustable to compensate for wear. A little pricey at $90-$130 per heim. Maybe a future upgrade.
Post a pic of yours,. Curious to what it looks like.

Tim Moland

I have resolved the front end squeak. It was the bottom rod ends and I upgraded from DF supplied rod ends to the FK part #FKBKMX1210.
https://www.kartek.com/parts/fk-rod-ends-34-right-hand-thread-58-hole-kmx12-10-nylon-coated-heim-joints.html

The noise is 100% gone and I have driven the car about half a dozen times for about 150 miles since. @Lonny, @Adam you may want to look at including these as replacements in the future.
To be clear, are these replacing the upper and lower Heim joints on the wheel hub uprights on the wheel side of the control arms, or the 4 inner heim joints on the upper and lower control arms on the frame side?

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
To be clear, are these replacing the upper and lower Heim joints on the wheel hub uprights on the wheel side of the control arms, or the 4 inner heim joints on the upper and lower control arms on the frame side?
Even after sanding down all joints I noticed the noise with a stethoscope was coming from the lower outside joint connecting to the hub assembly. I only replaced the (2) making the noise one on each bottom side.