Front Plate

Goblin Graber

I’m in Montana and unfortunately I have to run a front plate on my Goblin. I definitely don’t want to put a bumper on the front.

What options do I have besides just clamping it to an A arm and having it look like an afterthought?

kalishek

Wisconsin requires front plate also. Ran for years without one. Carried the 'spare' plate under front seat with mounting bracket. When stopped, would show plate and bracket to Officer and tell him/her that someone backed into vehicle and knocked plate off. Will repair as soon as possible. Never even got a warning. Just have a trustworthy face. ;)

Goblin Graber

I think I’m going to do an Altec Show N Go motorized plate holder. That way I can tuck the ugly thing under the car when I’m not driving it.

I don’t dig the key fob part. I’m hoping I can figure out how the little control box works and wire it to be out with the key on and retract when I turn the key off.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
That Altec show N go plate is a 007 gadget to beat the cops. Love it.
How about using the license plate as a front fender? I have seen lots of other people mount it vertically... not sure if it is legal in Montana.

Goblin Graber

That Altec show N go plate is a 007 gadget to beat the cops. Love it.
How about using the license plate as a front fender? I have seen lots of other people mount it vertically... not sure if it is legal in Montana.
I’ll have to look into the vertical thing. I definitely want to run the plate so I don’t get hassled by the cops. The supercharger mixed with my aggressive right foot should attract enough attention.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Any specs on where it has to be? Maybe put it behind the windshield in the middle of the car.

we are technically supposed to have a front plate too, but I’m being a rebel. :eek:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
We're supposed to run front plates in WA too, so I was going to try and work it into a flyscreen sort of thing. I haven't done my hood yet, so I've been going around without it mounted; no problems so far. I do keep the plate and zip ties in my bag if someone wants to hassle me though.

Goblin Graber

I did some digging and there’s a new law that I can pay $25 and have a highway patrolman sign off saying the body construction prevents a front plate and that a bracket isn’t available. Thank you Doyle Fab for NOT offering a front plate mount!!

The law says it won’t keep me from being stopped but the waiver will keep me from getting a ticket. That seems like a good enough compromise to me.

Now I just have to burn through my contacts for someone who has an in with a highway patrolman to make sure it goes easy
8061621F-A0C8-4514-A0B5-B1B5D0B8AFEA.png

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Only possible hiccup is that getting the exemption requires interacting with the WSP, who was supposed to inspect the car before registration/titling. Hiccup because a lot of us in WA went to licensing offices operated by subagents in order to avoid the WSP inspection. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it would really suck to try and get the plate waiver and end up with a revoked title.

Goblin Graber

Just curious...was there something you guys weren’t doing to your cars that made you want to skip the WSP inspection?

Hopefully you can find a friend of a friend or something that will sign off on it off duty without you actually having to go to the WSP office.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I personally haven't installed my parking brake yet because I scrapped my guide tubes and haven't been out to a pick-n-pull to grab replacements, so I'd fail the equipment inspection. A lot of the stories I've read here and elsewhere suggest that patrol officer's findings are also often subjective. Lastly, I prefer not to invite the man into my life whenever possible.