Front suspension Video where is it?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Dose this video help? Dose the shock need to flipped around so that the adjustment knob is easier to turn?

Control arms look good!
Some chose to put the shock dampener knob as you have it to "protect" it. I put mine on the other side and have not had any issue with a "cone" or otherwise hitting it. It is easier to access then.
And YES, I have hit lots of cones................. :0

Ross

Goblin Guru
Looks pretty good Jareth, you got the A arms and steering sorted. I ran my shocks like that for a little while, but turning them around so the adjustment knob is on the other side is much easier to adjust. It won't hurt to run them that way, just a pain to adjust the shocks.

Dale E

Hi guys, I don't want to burst any bubbles here, since everything seems bolted up correctly now, but are those the old style toe links? Should Jareth maybe order some of the upgraded ones? I think a couple of his style have fatigued and broken. Just asking??

Dale

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Is the aluminum piece that the tie-rod connects to the toe-link?

How would I be able to tell if I have the ones that were having issues?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
These are the updated style:

These are the old style:

There was also the A/T style which had no scalloping at all, if I remember correctly. The updated has no scalloping around that bolt to increase cross-sectional area at that point.

I've been on the fence about ordering the updated steering arms and the thicker lower rod-end mounts but I will make that decision when I go through my front suspension here soon. I don't think anyone has broken one just driving around, but one went in an autocross and a few more through unintended off-road excursions.

Lndshrk Steve

I know no one wants to break their car . . . but it's good to have a weak link that isn't that expensive. Some race cars use shear plates to break off so they don't damage the frame/suspension parts. And as we've heard, you can SLOWLY drive most cars back to the pits with the tie rod end broken. The caster allows the wheel to just track along.

AMCAMX1969

I haven't put mine together yet but looking at the pictures most of the bolts are in backwards, the weakest part of the bolts are the threaded portion and the threads are in the sheer plane (connection point between the rod end and the frame). If at all possible (room available, etc.) I would flip them around so the sheer plane is on the shank of the bolt.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Sounds reasonable but seems like some other builders have them the same way? Can anyone else chime in?

AMCAMX1969

You can only do it in some cases, many times you don't have a choice. I doubt these bolts have enough load on them to have one fail it's just good practice to do it when possible.

Brett

I know none of those bolts failed under an extremely high stress incident. I would venture to guess that they are not the weakest link.

This was my drivers side lower control arm. As you can see, the bolts ripped right out of the bracket, the shock failed, the metal tore, but the bolts were still, technically intact. I don't have the upright anymore but the bolts were still there.

Last edited:

Jareth

Goblin Guru
May I ask what this piece is called I seem to be missing one?

And odd that I don’t seem to see in the box the bolt to connect the hose?

Last edited:

Brett

May I ask what this piece is called I seem to be missing one?

And odd that I don’t seem to see in the box the bolt to connect the hose?
You need a banjo bolt from the old calipers off the donor or you can pick one up at the auto parts store. Be sure to check you threads before you leave the store since there are different ones. Ask me how I know.

That clip looks familiar but I cannot place it.