Front Wing

Batlwagn

My thoughts are that the front tires are essentially just crashing into the on coming air at this point

Ross

Goblin Guru
My thoughts are that the front tires are essentially just crashing into the on coming air at this point
That is my thoughts too. I want a front wing to help push the air over & around the front tires. That should increase downforce on the front.

Tinkles

I'm 80% sure something like this would work with no hood (spent 30 minutes on it), I dont know what kind of clearance is needed for the DF hood but that can be designed around.

Fab'd pieces with the hole pattern in it to bolt to the radiator support bar and give some angle of attack change (needs revision). I stood on the radiator support bracket to see how it felt, my fat ass didn't budge the support bar, but the further we get out the more that force is amplified.

Wing in pics is 51" wide, this can be what ever you desire. The machined, routed, burned however its done that pieces that would weld to the wing are easily fab'd up, could even use the NLR mount in its factory position and make a plate to go between the two but I think that would take away a little ground clearance.

End plates are just there for looks, bigger smaller what ever can be done. Probably go bigger.

I wouldn't mount it there. I have 0 confidence that it will not be strong enough to support it. You would also need to "flatten" out the airfoil in front of the radiator to ensure proper airflow to the radiator.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Guys the model was just a quick idea, I don't plan on doing any of what was shown with the full front wing. A full front wing on a street car is ridiculous. My plan is still to do 2 smaller segments on each side of the radiator.

Tinkles you're wrong on the strength of the radiator mount. Front end weights what ~600 pounds? That's being supported by only one side. It's good.

Agree about the airflow in front of the radiator, this is where the wing Justin was developing would work and look better.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Guys the model was just a quick idea, I don't plan on doing any of what was shown with the full front wing. A full front wing on a street car is ridiculous. My plan is still to do 2 smaller segments on each side of the radiator.

Tinkles you're wrong on the strength of the radiator mount. Front end weights what ~600 pounds? That's being supported by only one side. It's good.

Agree about the airflow in front of the radiator, this is where the wing Justin was developing would work and look better.
Tee hee... I like your quick idea, and the quick 3D modelling sketch, but find it a little funny that a full front wing is ridiculous for a street car.
We already committed to a light weight exoskeleton kit car with open wheels, no doors, no roof, no SRS, no ABS, no trunk, etc...
Our cars are ridiculous, it puts a smile on my face.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I made a bit of progress on mine and then put it on the back burner. Ran across this picture today though just for ideas.
F8753267-C5EC-483B-BF4E-D29D45B595FA.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
OK, thanks. I will keep kicking around ideas and maybe something will come to me as I play around my build, who knows. I'm sure one of us will eventually come up with the right combination of parts and mounting modifications to look right and be functional to help remove some of the front end float at speed.

Indy Lonnie

I've looked into the gains from a front wing. With the small length of the wing the downforce would be minimal. It would be less than 100 lbs at speed.
With the cantilever effect of a rear wing possibly pulling up on the front tires, I'm not sure a front and rear wing would gain any downforce on the front unless the front wing is much larger than the ones being discussed.
I love the thought of having a front wing, but it must be large to be functional.
Here is the data from a nine lives racing big Wang:
IMG_0014.JPG

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Yes but you can also apply some leverage out front too. My new nose design has the wing sitting out approx 20” in front of the current radiator area, I think that should help. I don’t know what the distance in front of the wheel center is but it’s gotta be close to 3’

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Let's just assume you can add 80lbs of downforce at 70 mph with the 'small' wing, that is a 14% 'increase' in weight on the front end - that is significant when any amount is welcomed. As Justin stated, the leverage of having a wing further out front of the center of weight (which is probably about the backside of the seats) does play into the way downforce affects the handling of the car. I would also comment that unless the rear wing is way up above the car into the clean air above the top of the car or have an extremely wide wing that extends out over the rear tires, it will have less downforce than one may think. There is a lot of 'dirty' turbulent air coming over top and around the sides of the car to provide the necessary correct airflow for the rear wing to be highly effective. We just need to have one of our Goblin family do some testing with and without their front wing - once one is 'perfected' - to put some data behind this discussion. :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ross, we must have hit send about the same time...and had the same train of thought. I forgot about Justin's big wing he mounted, good thing you remembered. I do believe he had a discussion thread about the wing somewhere, just cannot find it. Like you mentioned, hope he sees this post and can provide some numbers.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Dual elements on the front could help as well and would be pretty easy to do with the NLR wing and custom end plates

Rabid Sloth Racing

I'm planning on building a model to run CFD on. I could do a rough hack job if someone wanted to take tons of photos of a completed car from every possible angle.