Fuel cell replacement for fuel tank

ccgillett

Hi All: Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it in my searches. If so please point me in the right direction.

I'm purchasing a mostly-build Goblin race chassis (turbocharged LNF, manual trans from '08 SS donor). Car will arrive in running/driving condition, but I'll be doing some final assembly, suspension tweaks, bodywork, wing, etc. My application is strictly track use only. To say I am ridiculously excited is understatement.

For track use (not sanctioned racing, just lapping days, HPDE days, club events, etc.) I'll be installing a fire suppression system (I have one that never made it into another project) and a battery cutoff switch. The car I'm purchasing comes with the fuel tank as supplied with the kit. This seems like a good piece, but I'm wondering if anybody has either replaced it entirely with a fuel cell (FuelSafe, Radium, AeroTec, etc.), or had a custom bladder with fill plate and surge tank installed in the existing aluminum tank.

I know the price for these bits can be crazy, but this is an area where I've never skimped on any of my other cars. I'm ok with the inevitability of having a shunt at some point, I just don't want to get burned in the ensuing fire.

Any advice, pointers, information, part numbers, etc. would be really appreciated. Looking forward to being a Goblin owner and eventually a Goblin builder!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum. Who's Goblin did you purchase? Have to assume you're familiar with the information in here and the caliber of fellow Goblin owners who can help you with your finish build and tuning.
Your first stop may be to contact Ken - KLMotorsports - who built a track only TC and review his build log. He went with a fuel cell, relocated in the passenger side of his car, not using the DF fuel tank.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Welcome aboard.

Although you will be picking up at the end of assembly of the Goblin, please create a build log so we can learn from some of the mods you are talking about. It is always nice to document changes / upgrades for those who come after us.

:)

ccgillett

Welcome to the forum. Who's Goblin did you purchase? Have to assume you're familiar with the information in here and the caliber of fellow Goblin owners who can help you with your finish build and tuning.
Your first stop may be to contact Ken - KLMotorsports - who built a track only TC and review his build log. He went with a fuel cell, relocated in the passenger side of his car, not using the DF fuel tank.
Thanks, happy to be here. I saw some of Ken's posts, good stuff. Planning to leave the passenger seat in place for student ride-alongs, checkout rides with new clubs, etc., so his particular solution won't work. I'm looking for something that mounts in the same area as the existing tank.

I purchased Chassis #13 (!) from the original buyer - he's almost to first engine start after 3 years and I'll take it when the basic assembly is complete and it runs and drives. It's presently in Austin TX. I live in Westford MA about 35 miles from Boston and a few minutes from the NH border. We have a lot of race tracks in the area, and Lime Rock Park and Watkins Glen are also not too far away.

@JBINTX I'll certainly create a build log here when I get the car up to New England. I've got a bunch of photos from the seller and I'll post some of those if I can as well.

Tinkles

The only spot for an off the shelf aftermarket fuel cell might fit is in front of the transmission area. The section of the DF fuel tank that is in front of the engine is only 6.5" wide, so no room there. The fab shop has my only copy of my sketches for my redesigned fuel tank, so I cannot get 100% accurate with the measurements I say. But with relocating the coolant overflow, there is enough room in front of the transmission to increase the size of the tank in all directions. Then you can run a Radium FCST. IIRC the FCST is a very tight fit in the stock DF tank, but does fit.

My recommendation is to send the DF tank out to have a bladder installed(I think Fuelsafe can do it) and run a surge tank. I have the Radium FCST and it is a VERY nice piece. All other options would require additional modifications and/or relocating things.