Fuel pump housing size difference?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Looking to add a surge tank to my Goblin to avoid fuel starve issues during hard cornering. I plan to relocate the AEM pump I put in the tank into the surge tank so I need a pump to fill the surge tank from the main tank. I'm thinking about getting a pump and housing assembly from a base model. The thought there is that it'll have less pressure and flow than the SS pump to keep the surge tank full. The question I have is are the pump housings the same size and does any of this sound like it would be an issue? I'm assuming they're all the same size housings since I don't believe DF has different tanks for different donors but I just wanted to make sure before ordering.
Thanks!

Ross

Goblin Guru
The SC LSJ engine has a 6 bolt pump, the turbo LNF has an 8 bolt pump, so those tanks are different.
I think the NA 2.2 engine doesn't have a 1" relief in the tank for the supercharger, so it should hold more gas.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The SC LSJ engine has a 6 bolt pump, the turbo LNF has an 8 bolt pump, so those tanks are different.
I think the NA 2.2 engine doesn't have a 1" relief in the tank for the supercharger, so it should hold more gas.
Does that mean the LNF has a bigger fuel pump housing assembly? Are the base model and LSJ pump assemblies the same size?

Tinkles

I don't have an exact answer, but I do have some insight. I am going to be running Radium Engineering's FCST. All fuel pump options for that use the same pumps for lift and high pressure. Example, mine has a AEM 340lph lift pump and 2 AEM 340lph pumps in the surge tank. So I say just leave your in-tank pump alone and get another pump of your choice for the surge tank.

Aeromotive(I believe) makes a whole drop in assembly that is surrounded by foam to alleviate fuel starvation issues.

If you wanna put this idea on hole for a bit and are willing to modfy the chassis slightly(move the top fuel tank mounting angle "bar" up 3") I can share my plans for my custom fuel tank to fit the Radium FCST. The fab shop currently has the plans and should be starting to build it soon.

Lechlis

@Tinkles, you are correct about the Aeromotive setup.

@Fozda, I am using their Phantom Flex system. It will not fit inside an unmodified SS/SC tank from DF. However, if you haven’t received it yet, or could work out a swap deal, it can be adapted to fit the SS/TC tank. I worked up an adapter to mount it and are available if this route interests you.

Attachments

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I'd rather not cut and weld things to the frame anymore since it's already been powder coated. There's a few other changes I would like to make too that I just don't do because of the powder coat which is unfortunate. The pump I'd like to use is the one I put in the "stock" tank which seems a bit overkill for a lift pump so I'd prefer to just buy a stock base model pump assembly and just drop it in to use as a lift pump and put the AEM in the surge tank. I'm going to contact Adam cause I'm sure he knows if the top of the assemblies between the base and SS are the same size.
I like the idea of just putting it in the tank but by the time I buy another tank from DF and have it powder coated this option is going to cost about double what it would take to put a surge tank in the car. Your adapter looks really good though, nice work!

George

Goblin Guru
Looking to add a surge tank to my Goblin to avoid fuel starve issues during hard cornering. I plan to relocate the AEM pump I put in the tank into the surge tank so I need a pump to fill the surge tank from the main tank. I'm thinking about getting a pump and housing assembly from a base model. The thought there is that it'll have less pressure and flow than the SS pump to keep the surge tank full. The question I have is are the pump housings the same size and does any of this sound like it would be an issue? I'm assuming they're all the same size housings since I don't believe DF has different tanks for different donors but I just wanted to make sure before ordering.
Thanks!
I added a feeder pump to the right side of the tank to keep the can full around the stock pump.
Brad

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Have you considered the Holley HydraMat to prevent fuel starvation problems? I don't have personal experience, but this is something it is supposed to fix.