Full body - project start idea discussion

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hello my Goblin family,

It has always been my dream to fully enclose the Goblin frame. And I'm hoping to start this project with this kickoff ideas thread. Here is a few pictures of kinda what I would like to end up with. Toyota LMP prototype, the other picture of raw car is I believe the Superlite racecar that they stopped making. I'm just using that as a reference to see how the body panels and bottom connect.

I'm planning to model the body in 4 pieces nose, 2 sides 1 rear so that I can cut foam sheet layers on my CNC and glue them together in order to make a mold for CF cloth.

For the bottom aero, I was thinking 1-1.5mm aluminum (.04-.06") sheet riveted to the supports. For the side/front/rear frame extensions I was not sure if I would be able to do some kind of carbon fiber rod with clamps onto the existing goblin steel frame or not. That'll have to be something I might need help with.

Look forward to any ideas/thoughts anyone has.

Nuker-

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I believe other people have done this but @OptimizePrime has pictures of sealing off the bottom of the radiator mount. Then Justin Reed, @JPas914, and apparently @dastrups have run Nine Lives Racing rear diffusers which look like they're sealing off the bottom of the rear subframe.

I was actually daydreaming of an LMP-esque body today but I don't think I'd have the guts to see it through.

JPas914

I believe other people have done this but @OptimizePrime has pictures of sealing off the bottom of the radiator mount. Then Justin Reed, @JPas914, and apparently @dastrups have run Nine Lives Racing rear diffusers which look like they're sealing off the bottom of the rear subframe.

I was actually daydreaming of an LMP-esque body today but I don't think I'd have the guts to see it through.
I’m waiting for my diffuser to be built/shipped. Then it’s time to play with the front. Granted, my front end aero ideas might have to wait a bit.

AnthonyWP

Hello my Goblin family,

It has always been my dream to fully enclose the Goblin frame. And I'm hoping to start this project with this kickoff ideas thread. Here is a few pictures of kinda what I would like to end up with. Toyota LMP prototype, the other picture of raw car is I believe the Superlite racecar that they stopped making. I'm just using that as a reference to see how the body panels and bottom connect.

I'm planning to model the body in 4 pieces nose, 2 sides 1 rear so that I can cut foam sheet layers on my CNC and glue them together in order to make a mold for CF cloth.

For the bottom aero, I was thinking 1-1.5mm aluminum (.04-.06") sheet riveted to the supports. For the side/front/rear frame extensions I was not sure if I would be able to do some kind of carbon fiber rod with clamps onto the existing goblin steel frame or not. That'll have to be something I might need help with.

Look forward to any ideas/thoughts anyone has.

Nuker-

View attachment 26152

View attachment 26153

View attachment 26154
How would designing and machining everything work? Would it be better to have a machining company make this since i have no CNC machine? I'd love to do something like this but don't have the knowhow for fabrication and aero

Chris_WNC

How would designing and machining everything work? Would it be better to have a machining company make this since i have no CNC machine? I'd love to do something like this but don't have the knowhow for fabrication and aero
I think the one-off price of outsourcing this would be pretty high.

Get a bunch of foam and an electric turkey carver and free hand it! :D

CHRIS

AnthonyWP

I think the one-off price of outsourcing this would be pretty high.

Get a bunch of foam and an electric turkey carver and free hand it! :D

CHRIS
I assume after I get the molds I. Foam is use it to make the chassis itself? Really new at fabrication but would be willing to try since lamp cars look nice

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Carve the foam to the shape you like and then overlay with fiberglass. You can then either use that fiberglass as a reverse mold or body work the original lay-up. Foam would either then be removed or left in place depending on where it is and how you plan to fasten the panels to the car.

AnthonyWP

Carve the foam to the shape you like and then overlay with fiberglass. You can then either use that fiberglass as a reverse mold or body work the original lay-up. Foam would either then be removed or left in place depending on where it is and how you plan to fasten the panels to the car.
I’d probably just use nuts and bolts to mount it, to confirm 1) cut foam to body panels 2) overlay with fiber glass 3) drill mounting holes

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You likely would not want to leave foam at the connection point. I think typically you would remove the foam unless you totally encase it.

We are making this sound a lot more simple than it is, there are a lot of details you will need to research. Start simple and try and make some fenders or a wing. I haven't done anything like this myself, but I have researched it and may try and make some fenders.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I just skimmed through AMCAMX's link and in addition to what is posted there, you also have to make sure the foam and fiberglass resin will play nice together or make sure the foam is sealed from the the resin. Plus how good is your body work skills.

AnthonyWP

No good, that’s why I initially brought up getting someone else to fabricate it, If its not too hard I wouldn’t mind doing it myself but I should probably wait to get a goblin first before deciding what to do body wise

Scott #321

If you are seriously considering this I would recommend trying to make something small to get a feel for it before getting started. Epoxy resins while much more expensive than polyester do provide for a longer pot life, work time and are generally a little more forgiving during layup. There is also a benefit to not having the fumes that most polyester resins tend to put off. I have had good luck using expanding foam in the can and laying fiberglass over it in the past while using polyester as it poly is more reactive to the underlying material. Go for it if it is your desire worst is you fail or abandoned the project but you have aquired knowledge and a skill you did not have prior. You can save considerable $$ by bulk purchasing but I would not recommend this unless you have done some testing/trials to make sure you are willing to undergo the project.
FYI trick I learned years ago.... when showering after using fiberglass/carbon fiber use the coldest water you can stand to avoid pores in you skin opening and wipe areas down under running water with soap prior to scrubbing.