Gearjammer’s City Goblin – 06 SS/SC G85

gearjammer

Anyone know what gauge steel is used here? Trying to decide if it is ok to use 120V welder to put in seat brackets.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Anyone know what gauge steel is used here? Trying to decide if it is ok to use 120V welder to put in seat brackets.
View attachment 15539
Go for it. The last 120V mig welder I used would weld the metal in the Goblin just fine, as this metal is under 1/4" thick, which was about the limit of a that 120V welder. 1/8" thick metal is well within the range of a 120V mig welder.

gearjammer

I have cleaned up the engine harness. I got some Konig Tandem wheels (after almost 2 months of waiting). Thanks @Motoracer110 & @Lethalcast for modeling the wheels. A friend of mine welded in some steel bars for my Braum seats to mount to. My father-in-law and I dropped off the chassis and all the other parts I have from the stage 1 kit at the powder coater. Chassis is getting finished in Kingsport Grey. Floor pan, fuel tank, etc... getting done in black. They say it will be two to three weeks till it is done.

ToxicBill

Where did you get those wheels and are you using the 5x110 bolt pattern hubs? I'm having a hard time finding wheels I like in the size I want

gearjammer

Got them from Enjuku Racing. These are 5x114.3 ( I ordered the new hubs from DF). They are not available in 5x110 :-(.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Where did you get those wheels and are you using the 5x110 bolt pattern hubs? I'm having a hard time finding wheels I like in the size I want
Note, you can send your 5x110 hubs to DF and they will re-drill them to 5x114.3. When I sent mine in, they also put 3D-printed caps on the back of them. Service with a smile!

ToxicBill

Note, you can send your 5x110 hubs to DF and they will re-drill them to 5x114.3. When I sent mine in, they also put 3D-printed caps on the back of them. Service with a smile!
Yeah, except I already put the brakes on and I'm too lazy to take them off. I may need to look into that . . .

WYGoblin

I also found 1" 5x110 to 5x144.3 adapters also. Had to put a set on mine cause I was hitting the a arms and seemed like the easiest thing for me to do to correct it. Looked at the steering stops too but decided to try the spacers. Now I can also run the stock 5x110 wheels also if I want too.

gearjammer

I have been working on the wire harness. I got stuck on wire harness guide video 6, step 6. I am supposed to solder the reused ABS ground lug, fuel pump ground, coolant tank ground, and fuse box ground together. Only problem is I don’t have a fuse box ground... it looks like this is cut from the original ground lug in video 4 step 15. I specifically recall not finding a ground still attached headed toward the fuse box as Lonny seemed to in the video. I also can’t find any thinned out ground wires in my wire box. Does this “fuse box ground not exist for early model LSJ cobalts? Did I over thin something? Does anyone know what muliplug this fuse box ground is supposed to go to? Thanks!

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wonder if the "fuse box ground" is referring to the bolt that is welded below the fuse box, on the transmission mount.

I have a bunch of ground wires going to it.
Also the one by the gas pedal box, and the one by the battery.
There is only 3 grounding spots, as DF eliminated the one in the tunnel.
Don't overthink grounds, long as the black wire goes to any one of these 3 spots, and it has good contact, it will work.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
And moreover, if you do goof and need to run a new ground, you can run it to just about anywhere on the frame and as long as you have good solid contact (no paint/powder under the lug, etc), it'll work. Not saying that's ideal, but it's not the end of the world if you make a booboo.

gearjammer

Got the chassis back from powder yesterday. The color is Kingsport Grey. The photos look a few shades lighter than it does in person. Finished up the wire harness today!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have been working on the wire harness. I got stuck on wire harness guide video 6, step 6. I am supposed to solder the reused ABS ground lug, fuel pump ground, coolant tank ground, and fuse box ground together. Only problem is I don’t have a fuse box ground... it looks like this is cut from the original ground lug in video 4 step 15. I specifically recall not finding a ground still attached headed toward the fuse box as Lonny seemed to in the video. I also can’t find any thinned out ground wires in my wire box. Does this “fuse box ground not exist for early model LSJ cobalts? Did I over thin something? Does anyone know what muliplug this fuse box ground is supposed to go to? Thanks!
There is a white multi-plug under the fuse box that has a ground on it. This is supposed to ground the fuse box. This is very important! You car will not run without it. I'll have to see if I can find a good picture of it.

Goblin Graber

I’m working on an L61 not an LSJ. When I got to the same spot doing my harness I went what fuse block ground? There’s no loose black wire coming from the fuse block.

Then I looked and I had thinned a black wire out from one of the fuse block plugs somehow. Had to solder a wire back onto the stub of wire that was left.

Pop the covers off the back of your fuse block plugs and see if you cut any black wires

Last edited:

gearjammer

Thanks ctuinstra, I double checked and I do have the fuse box wire you show. The area where I got stuck was on the main bundle right after all the multi plugs and ECU connector wires merge together and start heading to the BCM. Here you solder the ABS ground lug to the fuel pump ground, coolant tank ground, and fuse box ground. This is the only part of the videos I am still not completely clear on. I will pop the multi plug covers off again and see if I can find any cut grounds as goblin graber suggests.

Goblin Graber

I was at the exact same spot in the videos and went whoops. Must have messed something up.

just went and popped the covers off mine to see if I could tell you which one it was I had to fix. Couldn’t see a splice in any of them but I’m pretty sure it was this bigger black wire on the right side in the middle.
282B8AA1-A5B0-4F4A-8E0E-8CE27714D691.jpeg

gearjammer

Just popped mine off, I have that wire too...but it has no continuity with any of the ground lugs....looks like I have some un-taping to do.

Last edited: