Goblin #333 (Adam T - Denver, CO) Turbo with a few other mods

ColoradoCryptoTrader

Hello I am Adam T from sunny Denver Colorado, I am a Mechanical Engineer, glass artist, and I also like to mess around with bitcoin. I have landed chassis #333 extended full cage with full door bars and I intend on streeting. I think this one is going to have a lot of unique design features that I haven't seen done yet :cool:

I will be using a brand new K04 turbo with a top mount intercooler set-up and a very special custom exhaust setup - motorcycle inspired. Aiming for around 350 RWHP.

Here are some up to date progress pictures. The donor was a 2008 SS. I have gone through all of the donor parts and have most of them refurbished and ready to go. All I have left to do on the motor is install a new clutch and it will be ready for the car.

Very excited to be able to do this build, I have seen a ton of very ingenious engineering solutions with this kit and from people in the community.

Day 1 picked up donor locally, the car ran but the clutch was bad. once I got the trans off I could see that the clutch springs broke off and jammed up inside. The flywheel is toast!

End of Day 2 - electric impact wrench was sweet. I am doing this entire project with the motor on this 1 ton transmission jack. A 2x4 under the trans works great, its very stable, I will add jack stands under the trans once its back on.

Waiting for the 6 puck ceramic clutch and new flywheel. The motor is in the exact spot in my garage for the Goblin frame to go over it so this motor isn't moving anymore until it rolls out with the car attached LOL.

Cleaned up engine harness

Finished all of the new engine heat shields, I have a nice turbo blanket for the hot side.
Working on a custom PCV oil filter system, its probably way overkill, but I will still be using a draw through MAF for now. Previous owner removed the PCV altogether and surprise, the engine was running way rich.

Last edited:

ColoradoCryptoTrader

made up some paper intercooler brackets with autocad, ill find someone to cut these for me once I confirm overall lengths. the couplers fit inside of the bottom brackets openings.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hello I am Adam T from sunny Denver Colorado, I am a Mechanical Engineer, glass artist, and I also like to mess around with bitcoin. I have landed chassis #333 extended full cage with full door bars and I intend on streeting. I think this one is going to have a lot of unique design features that I haven't seen done yet :cool:

I will be using a brand new K04 turbo with a top mount intercooler set-up and a very special custom exhaust setup - motorcycle inspired. Aiming for around 350 RWHP.

Here are some up to date progress pictures. The donor was a 2008 SS. I have gone through all of the donor parts and have most of them refurbished and ready to go. All I have left to do on the motor is install a new clutch and it will be ready for the car.

Very excited to be able to do this build, I have seen a ton of very ingenious engineering solutions with this kit and from people in the community.

Day 1 picked up donor locally, the car ran but the clutch was bad. once I got the trans off I could see that the clutch springs broke off and jammed up inside. The flywheel is toast!
View attachment 28797

End of Day 2 - electric impact wrench was sweet. I am doing this entire project with the motor on this 1 ton transmission jack. A 2x4 under the trans works great, its very stable, I will add jack stands under the trans once its back on.
View attachment 28798

Waiting for the 6 puck ceramic clutch and new flywheel. The motor is in the exact spot in my garage for the Goblin frame to go over it so this motor isn't moving anymore until it rolls out with the car attached LOL.
View attachment 28799

Cleaned up engine harness
View attachment 28800

Finished all of the new engine heat shields, I have a nice turbo blanket for the hot side.
Working on a custom PCV oil filter system, its probably way overkill, but I will still be using a draw through MAF for now. Previous owner removed the PCV altogether and surprise, the engine was running way rich.

View attachment 28801
When you say the previous owner removed the PCV are you indicating the vent tube/check valve from the intake tube into the valve cover? Because the PCV is located inside the intake manifold in the LNF motor and removing it would require taking off the intake manifold - is there evidence of this? It would cause more than just a rich running engine. It would be a boost leak into the crankcase that could blow out any number of gaskets in the motor, depending upon how much actual boost was present. Crankcase pressure can also cause the piston rings to twist and unsealed, which may cause accelerated cylinder bore wear. At vacuum it would be an unchecked source of additional air that would lean out the AFR. Pretty sure it would also post a fault code on the OBD.

ColoradoCryptoTrader

When you say the previous owner removed the PCV are you indicating the vent tube/check valve from the intake tube into the valve cover? Because the PCV is located inside the intake manifold in the LNF motor and removing it would require taking off the intake manifold - is there evidence of this? It would cause more than just a rich running engine. It would be a boost leak into the crankcase that could blow out any number of gaskets in the motor, depending upon how much actual boost was present. Crankcase pressure can also cause the piston rings to twist and unsealed, which may cause accelerated cylinder bore wear. At vacuum it would be an unchecked source of additional air that would lean out the AFR. Pretty sure it would also post a fault code on the OBD.
The PCV valve is still in the intake. but the PCV vent fittings on the valve cover were both broken off so I replaced the valve cover and reconnected all of the hoses. there are a bunch of reasons that the engine was running rich if the PCV wasnt the cause. There were many other boost leaks going on,.

Last edited: