Goblin for sale

Lando217

Dont get discouraged!!! The very first comment on this thread has the solution. Montana is the answer.

I've spoken to them and this is the rought I'll be taking.

I got my goblin inspected my local officer and passed inspection and got a VIN #. It wasn't till I got the title stating that it not eligible for registration. I called Springfield special vehicle department and said that it's due to tube chassis not being road legal. According to the NHTSA.

So what I can recommend to you. Finish you build and get you car inspected by the state and get your VIN. Then register it with Montana With the LLC they make for you. Then you'll have a road legal Montana title.( Montana has no smoge tests or vehicle inspection) Worse case scenario you then transfer it back to Illinois and your name. Then you have a road legal Illinois title.
Thanks for the advice! I feel better that there is a way! I can be a very patient person as long at the end of the day the goblin can be road legal. I am going to look into the Montana route and probably do that idea right off the bat. Please let us know how it goes with you guys! Will having the cobalt clean title in my name already help any process at all?

Lando217

My advice is Do not involve Illinois at all. This way they get no tax $$$$ at all. When I looked into this Montana will use the chassis tag that DF put on the car. @BaltimoreHokie did this same thing since MD would not even issue a vin#.
This was my next step if PA did not approve mine.
If I go stright through Montana, would you guys think I wouldn’t have to bother with bumpers or extra panels to hide the tube chassis? It would save a good amount of money.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
As far as I know, the base Goblin kit is sufficient to get registered via the Montana route.

I am more than likely going this route myself, without even trying in PA, because my wheels are too wide for DF's fender kit and modifying them in a satisfactory way goes beyond my capabilities. Moreover, I don't want to deal with DOT-approved headlights, safety-glass windshield, wiper/defroster, bumpers, and whatever else PA would require.

The only thing I'm concerned about is, are there tax complications from owning an LLC in another state? If there's no income from it, I doubt it, but it's just a thought I had.

Lando217

As far as I know, the base Goblin kit is sufficient to get registered via the Montana route.

I am more than likely going this route myself, without even trying in PA, because my wheels are too wide for DF's fender kit and modifying them in a satisfactory way goes beyond my capabilities. Moreover, I don't want to deal with DOT-approved headlights, safety-glass windshield, wiper/defroster, bumpers, and whatever else PA would require.

The only thing I'm concerned about is, are there tax complications from owning an LLC in another state? If there's no income from it, I doubt it, but it's just a thought I had.
I would be very interested if your process also. Could you update this forum or start another thread about Montana licensing. I feel a lot of people will benefit from it. Thanks!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I would be very interested if your process also. Could you update this forum or start another thread about Montana licensing. I feel a lot of people will benefit from it. Thanks!
I certainly will, but that time is a long ways off. I only have stage 1 of the kit right now, and I've barely started to build into the frame at this point. My wiring isn't done yet either, so no first-start to date. Once the weather gets a little warmer in PA and the final wiring video(s) are up, it'll be pedal to the metal though.

Mikey

Yes, what BaltimoreHokie did was pretty easy.
When I purchased the Goblin from him, he just sold me the LLC and the registration and tag came with it.
They will do the annual renewal for it too.
Very Easy and you pay $0 taxes.

JeffInWA

I'm a Washington resident and had a Nevada LLC for years, so it's no problem getting an LLC in another state. You will need to pay a resident agent (unless you know someone that lives there), and I don't know what Montana requires for llc licensing - sometimes it's yearly, some states are less often. For Nevada I had to pay $129 a year for filing the LLC's annual list of members with the secretary of state, and at some point I also was required to get a Nevada business license. This was all easily done on the Nevada SOS website. You will also have to file form 1065 with the irs each year, but there isn't much to that if it's not an LLC that makes money.

Jay, Which chassis do you have the regular or extended? I am 6ft tall. Do you have it licensed and registered? Which motor and or upgrades etc.. have you done? I am headed to N.C. for a week. I have a PGA event to be at. If you have any videos of the vehicle rnning or driving that would be cool. email is [email protected]

Jsix

Hello Russell, Please call John @ 618-420-6015 when you get a chance. Ill give you more information. I'll try to get a video made in the next couple of days.

cubicleninja05

Dont get discouraged!!! The very first comment on this thread has the solution. Montana is the answer.

I've spoken to them and this is the rought I'll be taking.

I got my goblin inspected my local officer and passed inspection and got a VIN #. It wasn't till I got the title stating that it not eligible for registration. I called Springfield special vehicle department and said that it's due to tube chassis not being road legal. According to the NHTSA.

So what I can recommend to you. Finish you build and get you car inspected by the state and get your VIN. Then register it with Montana With the LLC they make for you. Then you'll have a road legal Montana title.( Montana has no smoge tests or vehicle inspection) Worse case scenario you then transfer it back to Illinois and your name. Then you have a road legal Illinois title.
Hello All, I'm new to the group and have been looking at options for building or buying a completed DF Goblin. I am in CA so trying to figure out the hoops I will have to go through because I would like it registered and street legal. Does anyone know if anyone has gone this route in CA or successfully registered a goblin in CA? I saw there was another thread but the successful owner didn't seem to respond to another request for info. I am still going through the threads so I do apologize if I missed one. Thanks in advanced, Ben