Goblin Rear Control Arms

Iwanttogofast

I'm not yet ready to install many of my suspension components, but I realized today that my powder coater did not return my notes with my coated parts. I'm able to figure out most of it from pictures that I had taken beforehand. However, I am not sure on the orientation of my control arms for the rear of the Goblin (front of the Cobalt). There are numbers stamped on one side of the control arms (9482-3 on one, 9483-3 on the other), but not sure if the numbers face up or down during installation, or which control arm goes to which side. I removed the factory ball joints, so not sure which side of the control arm the new ball joints go on. Help?
20220403_124703.jpg

ColoradoCryptoTrader

just match the orientations in this picture ;)
how the heck did powder coat stick to the rubber parts? I took all of the bushings out of my control arms before painting.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm not yet ready to install many of my suspension components, but I realized today that my powder coater did not return my notes with my coated parts. I'm able to figure out most of it from pictures that I had taken beforehand. However, I am not sure on the orientation of my control arms for the rear of the Goblin (front of the Cobalt). There are numbers stamped on one side of the control arms (9482-3 on one, 9483-3 on the other), but not sure if the numbers face up or down during installation, or which control arm goes to which side. I removed the factory ball joints, so not sure which side of the control arm the new ball joints go on. Help? View attachment 31989
The arm on the left is oriented up and is the passenger side, the one on the right is oriented facing down and needs to be flipped upright for the driver side. :)
The powder coating needs to be removed from the rear bushings before installing the arms, since they have to move feely.

Iwanttogofast

just match the orientations in this picture ;)
how the heck did powder coat stick to the rubber parts? I took all of the bushings out of my control arms before painting.
The previous owner told me that he had just replaced the Control Arm Bushings prior to his accident - and they did seem new. I figured that I would just leave them in for powder coating, and if they flaked - no big deal. I'm actually surprised at how well the powder coat adhered to the bushings, but still expecting them to flake. If they do - no big deal, and I may just use that as an excuse to go with the Moog spherical ball control arm bearings.

RITDR

They will probably look good until the bushings start to flex, then it will crack and flake off.

finazzoty

I had a phone conversation with @Lonny about replacing the stock rubber bushings with Moog steel bushings - what I’ve now realized is I’m not sure if he meant the front or rear bushings (front and rear as the control arms are mounted on the Goblin, that is). Does anyone know?

finazzoty

Ok that’s what I figured - do you know the part number of the steel bushing he is referring to? I checked Moog’s as well as rockauto website and did not see a full steel bushing

gofast

This is the Moog bushing.
View attachment 32434

This is the Moog ball joint - for SS/TC 2008-2010.

View attachment 32435
I need some clarification. It was my understanding from past posts that the FE5 ball joints had a larger diameter stud and no one, including Moog, made a ball joint of the proper diameter. Have you measured the stud diameter of your old ball joint and Moog K80566? If they are the same, this is good news. Am I right that my 2009 SS/TC has a FE5 suspension?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
There is some disagreement on whether the moog is the right size ball joint for the SS/TC. Desert Sasq got one that worked but he is the only one that I’m aware of. I tried it and got one that is too small. Someone else contacted Moog tech support and was told they don’t fit.
The FE5 designation doesn’t really cover the ball joint.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
These are the Moog heim bushings. OTTP make some too that are more beefy, but not sure they are worth the extra expense.
51F22BE7-AD9E-48B6-AB32-7B1AA30103B5.jpeg

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Expand the quote field to read all my comments regarding suspension RPO codes.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
:pBrett missed if for over a month after he installed them.

cody still has said anything about something I did to his wing uprights.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I need some clarification. It was my understanding from past posts that the FE5 ball joints had a larger diameter stud and no one, including Moog, made a ball joint of the proper diameter. Have you measured the stud diameter of your old ball joint and Moog K80566? If they are the same, this is good news. Am I right that my 2009 SS/TC has a FE5 suspension?
The non-TC ball joints have a 0.750(+/-) inch stub on top. The TC ball joints have a 0.805(+/-) inch stub. Because of the GM suspension codes from year to year, both of these ball joints are considered FE5 parts even though they are not interchangeable. This has caused many problems trying to get replacement parts, as has been discussed at length on the forum.

ColoradoCryptoTrader

here is a solid rubber ZZP offering. I am using these. REMOVE OEM STEEL RING from control arm before installing these.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That’s barely above stock. If you are going through the trouble of pressing in bushings, I would at least do the heim bushings.

pro tip-
Put the bushing in the freezer over night. It makes pressing them in a lot easier. Bonus points for heating up the control arm to also make it easier.

finazzoty

Thanks for the help guys - I had actually placed an order for the Moog's and cancelled it once I saw that OOTP made some. Any further thoughts on whether or not they are worth the coin? I also saw that they make bushings for the front:

Is it worth it to go ahead and replace these as well before the control arms go in?