[GUIDE] Montana Registration

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Actually, Lechlis, sorry ... I had forgotten you registered via the Montana route. If you didn't need a VIN match, I doubt I will either. I wonder why O-Prime did?
It wasn't required but they do check it during the VIN inspection. My officer called some back-office people and asked where the serial number was on the engine and we still couldn't find it at the time. It didn't stop the process. It shouldn't matter for you either as long as all of your documentation on your donor lines up.

EDIT:
Interesting read on this topic: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/vin-number-engine-serial-number-dont-match-90486/

He had to first register in North Carolina before registering in Montana.
I went down the NC path initially as I was instructed to by the License and Theft Agents. After I mailed off all of my original documents to the DMV, the L&T agent called to tell me I should cancel it and go Montana. I emailed and called repeatedly over the past three months and never reached anyone during the process (the DMV is so incredibly incompetent I can't even begin to explain). Well, last weekend a North Carolina title shows up out of the blue conveying the Goblin is titled in NC also. So now I have a MT and an NC title... can't wait to sift through this one! All this is just noise for others interested in the MT route though. Through this headache I figured out what's required to have the highest probability of success.

Last edited:

Peregrinus

I only needed to send in 4 pieces of paperwork for montana route. Little different from the original guide. I'm in Wisconsin.

My Registered agent supplied the mv1 form, I wasn't required to fill one out at all.
Mv70a police level 1 inspection
Mv20 inspection form
MCO from dfkitcar
Odo disclosure

As long as the mco has your LLC name on it, no need for the bill of sale. I wasn't required to send the title for the cobalt or anything else. I'm still waiting for plate and title, but I'll update when they arrive.

My vin inspection took me under 3 mins, then the cop just talked to me for a few min about how cool it was and left.

Peregrinus

Can you detail your VIN inspection? What did the cop look at?
Absolutely nothing, my local pd had never done it before, they noted where I had my vin plate located, and looked through my folder of paperwork and receipts signed off and left after a 5 min chat. Very painless and almost no questions, they didn't really care because it was montana paperwork.

I am by no means saying this is the norm, but it really should be a painless inspection, the only thing the inspection needs to verify is the vin location and or other major identifiers and that nothing is stolen.

You will however need a business card from them, my registered agent asked for that specifically. So do request that along with the inspection.

Lechlis

Absolutely nothing, my local pd had never done it before, they noted where I had my vin plate located, and looked through my folder of paperwork and receipts signed off and left after a 5 min chat. Very painless and almost no questions, they didn't really care because it was montana paperwork.

I am by no means saying this is the norm, but it really should be a painless inspection, the only thing the inspection needs to verify is the vin location and or other major identifiers and that nothing is stolen.

You will however need a business card from them, my registered agent asked for that specifically. So do request that along with the inspection.
Identical experience for me.

dastrups

So I called my nearest CHP office to schedule a VIN verification and they asked if I had already started the process with the DMV. I didn't exactly know what to say so I just told them the truth that I am registering the car in Montana through my LLC located there and that the VIN verification form is a Montana form. They stopped me right there and said they wouldn't do it. Is there some other way around this? They did say their are private companies that do VIN verification but I feel like that wouldn't suffice.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I guess CHP is California HP? I would guess it will take a personal connection with a LEO to get it out there.

Peregrinus

your vin inspection can be done by ANY law enforcement office. it says so right on the paperwork for the form if I remember right. I literally called my local PD and had a normal non-traffic officer come and do it.

dastrups

your vin inspection can be done by ANY law enforcement office. it says so right on the paperwork for the form if I remember right. I literally called my local PD and had a normal non-traffic officer come and do it.
Did they come to your house? How much detail did you give them over the phone to get them to come?

Peregrinus

Did they come to your house? How much detail did you give them over the phone to get them to come?
yep, i called and it was a 30 second conversation, told them i needed a Montana reg. vin inspection sheet done, they had no idea what it was, so sent an officer. She looked it all over, was done and gone in under 10 mins. I did have my entire folder and all my documents ready to rock and roll, she did a quick scan, checked the vin location tag, signed everything and left.

my registered agent did specifically request whatever leo does it, to give you their card that you can send them with the form.

dastrups

yep, i called and it was a 30 second conversation, told them i needed a Montana reg. vin inspection sheet done, they had no idea what it was, so sent an officer. She looked it all over, was done and gone in under 10 mins. I did have my entire folder and all my documents ready to rock and roll, she did a quick scan, checked the vin location tag, signed everything and left.

my registered agent did specifically request whatever leo does it, to give you their card that you can send them with the form.
Thank you. I will try that.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru

This mirrors my experience exactly. I expected trouble from my local PD, but they were chill as hell about it.

KSLunsfo

I too received some heart burn over this process, it took about a month for the guy I was working with to agree to doing it. After escalating things up the chain of command the right person finally told him he should do it I guess... You're likely going to need to exercise a bit of patience here.

Like many things, each persons experience all comes down to who you're dealing with.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
License & Theft agent. You ONLY need a local Law Enforcement officer (LEO) to verify you VIN number for MT. I just registered my Goblin 3 weeks ago in MT. The deputy verifies your frame number to use as a VIN (DFGB_ _ _ _). My frame # is my VIN number. Get a business card from the LEO & attach to your paperwork. Simple

Last edited:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I couldn't find anything related to License and Theft Agent here in Illinois and the only thing listed about VIN verification is tied wholly to emissions testing. I do not live in a county with emissions, so there are no emissions testing locations anywhere near me.

Am I understanding this and other threads correctly that any LEO can verify my frame number as my VIN to meet the MT requirement?