Harness with Stock Seats

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Is anyone running 4 point harnesses with the stock Cobalt seats? My seat belts are locked and I’d just assume have harnesses.

Brett

While I'm not, I know it has been done with both 4 and 5 point harness.

I believe @JBINTX has stock seats with harnesses.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Many will adamantly oppose doing this. Technically it is not the best solution. Mostly the shoulder harness position.

There may be some sanctioning committees or tracks that would not allow this setup.

However. My seats were in great condition. They are very comfortable. And. The Goblin was designed to use just the stock 3 point seat belts. So adding a five point harness has to make that more secure. Right!? Open for argument.
I can tell you that cinching down the harness tightly will keep the butt in the seat going around an autoX course At the limits of the coefficient of friction. And through spins. Several. I prefer not to find out about this setup’s viability upside down.

Your build. Your choice. :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Is anyone running 4 point harnesses with the stock Cobalt seats? My seat belts are locked and I’d just assume have harnesses.
If they are locked, it could be they are mounted on the wrong side of the car. The tension lock works on a swinging weight in most older seat belts and installing on the wrong side makes the weights swing the wrong way. Try swapping sides and see if that makes a difference. :)

Dsteinhorst

I bought a harness to try with stock seats. I mocked it up and wasn't crazy happy with it will probably finish mounting and try it when I have a free day. The straps on mine are super wide.
20220528_151034.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Are your seatbelts locked because the explosive tensioner went off (assuming you bought a wrecked Cobalt)?
I have stock seats, and 5 way seat belts, also have the stock 3 way seat belt in the drivers seat.
I added a shoulder harness bar to my frame.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would not run a harness without getting the upper connection points the correct height. If the harness has to run up to get over the top of the seat, you may end up with a lot of slack in them as the seat top breaks as the harness pulls down. I really think that DF needs to have an option for another horizontal bar higher than the current one.

Robinjo, I can help you add one in before you get your frame powder coated if it isn’t to late.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Robinjo, I can help you add one in before you get your frame powder coated if it isn’t to late.
It’s actually still at DF, I’ll give them a call tomorrow to see what we can do.
If not, I’ll get with you. My welding skills are worse than my electrical knowledge.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The seatbelt spool needs to be oriented so the belt enters/exits vertically.
I removed the seatbelts, and wash them using this video as my guide. They retract better after cleaning.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
For the harness bar, do racing seats need this extra bar as well? We’re most likely getting a set in a year or so.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It depends on how high you seat is mounted and your height but I think in general most of the setups should have it added.

PaulPerger

I bought a harness to try with stock seats. I mocked it up and wasn't crazy happy with it will probably finish mounting and try it when I have a free day. The straps on mine are super wide.
View attachment 33592
If you are going to run these with the stock seats, I would suggest running them OUTSIDE the headrest supports rather than inside the supports. In an accident (god forbid it happens, but they do and that is why we install belts...) this configuration has the real potential to injure your neck. Those belts are made and work best when coming directly over your shoulder, not at an angle...

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If you are going to run these with the stock seats, I would suggest running them OUTSIDE the headrest supports rather than inside the supports. In an accident (god forbid it happens, but they do and that is why we install belts...) this configuration has the real potential to injure your neck. Those belts are made and work best when coming directly over your shoulder, not at an angle...
If they are attached to the stock cross bar, running them outside the headrest won't be much better, since they will slide off the edge of the seat and create a lot of slack.

Dale E

Some folks use a U style hose clamp (can be found at Lowes or a hardware store) on their cross bars to old the seatbelts in place and from sliding on the cross bar. The seatbelt webbing is wrapped normally on the crossbar, and this simply holds it in place. Yes, running the belts inside of the head rest bars will potentially cut your neck and we certainly don't want that happening.

These clamps can be bolted or welded to the crossbars.

Dale