Hawaii Reg and Law

sashatronics

Out of all, building goblin is fun and lightly challenged but registration in my mind is the hardest part due to such laws and loop holes.
I am very interested buying a Goblin or build one, but as most know out here in remote land everything is slower, and in case i cant register the car i am stuck with it.

looking at the law of the state, Goblin should be in Special interest vehicle range as a Hot Rod Replica. I am not expert at law but here is what statue states:

§286-26.5 Special interest vehicles.

My question, what vehicle can Goblin resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1968 ??

I am going to go see someone at DMV to see if i can get it register before build/buy

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
From what I read in that attached article it sounds like it can be done. You will have some hurdles but nothing that some of the other builders and myself haven't already had to do.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Don't be too discouraged if you go to a DMV and get someone telling you that you can't register a goblin. The first time we tried to register a goblin the DMV lady had a bad attitude from the second we told her what we were doing and then started telling us things that she said we would have to do, most of it was not true. The conversation at the DMV ended with her saying "that's what you get for trying to build your own car".

We did our homework and went to a different DMV and instead of asking what we needed to do we had all of our documents filled out and explained to them how it needs to be done as if we had done it before.

Try to find a home built vehicle in your area that has been registered, they may be able to help.

We definitely don't want to sell you a kit that you can't use.

sashatronics

Thank you for info. Today i went to DMV twise, same dmv, i kinda got hold of the person who is in charge there for safety and regulations for what we need to do. He is the one who is in charge of yes or no in the county where i want to register. I am looking to buy Rich's purple goblin, so i am providing them all i can and sense it is already registered in Arizona it make thing easier here, will see.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I am looking to buy Rich's purple goblin, so i am providing them all i can and sense it is already registered in Arizona it make thing easier here, will see.
That is a great choice. If I would not of ordered and had mine 90% done when he decided to sell I would of jumped on that car.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That is fantastic. I have ridden in Rich's Goblin and it is a really great car. That ride is what hooked me to build my own Goblin. Better hurry though, he and his family will be moving away from AZ soon.