Head light connectors melting

Tim Moland

I noticed that my drivers side headlight was not working. I figured the bulb burned out, so I ordered some high powered led replacement bulbs, cause let's face it, the stock ones are pretty dim. After removing the old headlight, I found that the headlight connector was melted and smelled horrible like burnt electrical wires. So I decided to look at the passenger side headlight also. Not quite the same thing, but you can tell it has been hot and blackened the connector. I did a test with the Voltmeter, and everything works like it should. I'm getting the correct 12 volts in the correct spots for low beam and high beam. So it's not an electrical problem. Is it just heat from the headlight? I have noticed that when they are on, the outside bucket gets very hot. I figured it was normal. The new bulbs I got have cooling fins on them, but they barely fit in the old buckets. I was thinking about cutting what is left of the old connector off and putting single female blade terminals on the wires instead of a bulky connector for all three wires. That way I have more room internally for the new bulb. Any suggestions?
20200203_234610.jpg
20200203_234248.jpg
20200203_231043.jpg
20200203_230958.jpg
20200203_233803.jpg
20200203_233818.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
That melted connector is a common problem with Daytime running lights. If I am in a high traffic ares and want to be noticed i will use the DRL's otherwise I turn them off to prevent this. Also make sure the connectors are getting good contact. Try bending them on the male end and pinching the female end together.

I changed to those same type bulbs. After some extended runs with the lights on my housing was just barely warm. I think the LED will help that problem. I have different headlight housings but it was still a tight fit.

I have used these before to help with the heat problem also High temp harness

Ross

Goblin Guru
They also sell a 3 blade connector in ceramic for those bulbs, which can handle the heat but doesn't really address the issue that the blade connectors aren't high enough amperage connectors, and get too hot.
LED bulbs draw less power, but mine didn't even last to the end of the warranty, so I took them back.
I am back to the original bulbs, running too hot at the connector. I imagine a whole bulb & connector replacement would be the better solution... wonder who makes some properly engineered ones.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I switched my headlights in the stock housings to LEDs after I noticed them smoking after being on for about an hour. I think they overheat pretty bad. After the switch to LEDs zero problems.

Jordan

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
dang...... This sounds like a consistent and a real design issue. Making my notes here.
LED's draw about 10% of the amperage for a given amount of lumens.

Tim Moland

I replaced both headlight harnesses with a high temperature harness I bought at autozone. Installed the new led bulbs, and took her for a sub-freezing drive. They are bright!!