Headlight wiring for Dominator 2.0

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
on the headlights blue is most likely ground, red and white are high and low not sure which housing is supposed to be high or low though.
car side wiring brown- marker light
black- ground
white- high
yellow- low

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
zooming in on your picture the housing on the right with the yellow wire has an L sticker so I'm going to assume that is the low beam.

dastrups

One more question if you happen to know. I have it all wired up and everything seems to work but the brown wire doesn’t have a place to be wired to. The blues go to black. The yellows (low beam) go together and the red and white (high beam) go together. So I wonder where the brown goes? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Some headlights have a dim/low wattage setting that is part of the daylight running lights. That is my guess for the brown wire.
Lethalcast called it a park light.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty sure this would be the same on a later model as it is on my early model donor car. That wire would have run to the dimmer of the two filaments in the turn signal bulb in the Cobalt. It should have power if the headlights are on (whether commanded on by the auto headlights manually on the stalk), if the stalk is switched to the running lights position, or if the fog light circuit is turned on (which also turns on the running lights). It's also on if your tail lights are on. It's the same wire that goes to the dimmer of the two bulbs in the mirrors (not the turn signal bulb).

dastrups

Some headlights have a dim/low wattage setting that is part of the daylight running lights. That is my guess for the brown wire.
Lethalcast called it a park light.
Would you say that maybe brown and yellow (park light and low beam) wires from the car harness both connect with the yellow (low beam) from the headlight? Is there any way to test this theory without blowing a fuse?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Not sure exactly when the change was ('07 or '08) but on the late models the DRL is one of the headlights PWM to essentially half voltage (not sure if it's low or high beam).

On early models the DRL is the marker lamp run at full voltage. I believe this is the brown wire you have (but not sure because I have an early model). On your late model this light will be on if the headlights are on or you have the stalk turned to the running lights position. I'm not sure if the stalk in the running lights position turns the DRLs off, but you can also disable the DRL (low voltage headlights) by pulling the DRL fuse in your fuse box.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't connect the yellow and brown together. Just skip DRL lights, or add some extra bulbs if you want. The brown should turn on the licence plate, the rear running lights, side marker lights if you add them, etc. The yellow is just for the head lights low beam.