Heat exchanger pump

Whidbey Goblin

I watched a video posted by ZZP about top five mods for the supercharged motors. Number one was a new heat exchanger coolant pump. What are your thoughts on changing it? Should I test it first or just buy a new one?

Attachments

Whidbey Goblin

Test first why not and get a bluetooth OBD reader to check intake temp.
I was thinking it would be pretty easy to change while I have the motor out. Also in the video I watched he said virtually every one that comes in as bad. The one on my motor does not appear to be new by any means and could potential he have 130,000 miles on it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It's most likely bad. Ours was at 116K. But put 12V to it and see what it does. If it runs, use it. Changing it not hard after the car is built if you should have to. If it is good, keep an eye on it, it won't last forever.

Whidbey Goblin

It's most likely bad. Ours was at 116K. But put 12V to it and see what it does. If it runs, use it. Changing it not hard after the car is built if you should have to. If it is good, keep an eye on it, it won't last forever.
Couldn’t get it to come on. It was hard to get wires to those tiny plugs but I’m sure I made contact. I’m just gonna order a new one.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Couldn’t get it to come on. It was hard to get wires to those tiny plugs but I’m sure I made contact. I’m just gonna order a new one.
I ordered a high flow from ZZP, Mine worked but would run at different speeds if you pushed the plug from side to side. Definatly want to do it before the engine is in the car. Going to have to run mine over to the neighbors and pot it on the lift as there is not enough room to work under there on jack stands.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I ordered a high flow from ZZP, Mine worked but would run at different speeds if you pushed the plug from side to side. Definatly want to do it before the engine is in the car. Going to have to run mine over to the neighbors and pot it on the lift as there is not enough room to work under there on jack stands.
If you didn't rivet the firewall, you could take that off and service the pump.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Probably best to replace it or install new brushes like I believe Ross did. Mine was right at 100k and the pump doesn't like to start sometimes.
Also might want to check the polarity at the power plug as well. There were some SC's that got wired backwards at the factory, causing the pumps to run in reverse. Not an efficient way to circulate coolant.
The pump is marked for polarity.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I have taken the heat exchanger pump out multiple times its easy in or out of the goblin. There is really not a single part of the engine that cannot be removed in the goblin just put it on some tall jackstands and go at it.