Heater loop bypass option for supercharged guys

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Looking at threads for the heater core pipe bypass and it looks like people have looped the pipes with hose, taken the pipes out and installed 90* fittings and hose, or used the CBM Motorsports housing which removes the thermostat.

I bypassed the route of the 2 pipes internally by just drilling through the passage that comes out of the head down into the lower portion where the coolant ends up anyways with the heater core loop in place.

Then tapped the pipe holes to 1/2 npt for plugs. Now there is nothing on the outside of the housing, you keep the thermostat, and your coolant pasage for the head is not blocked off.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice modification. I hadn't heard of this before, but it will clean up the heater loop nicely. Of course a water cooled turbo would put those lines to a good use too.

WYGoblin

I was actually thinking of using those lines for a heated air/oil seperator to try to keep oil from entering the intake and gumming up the intake valves.

HOBGOBLIN

Looking at threads for the heater core pipe bypass and it looks like people have looped the pipes with hose, taken the pipes out and installed 90* fittings and hose, or used the CBM Motorsports housing which removes the thermostat.

I bypassed the route of the 2 pipes internally by just drilling through the passage that comes out of the head down into the lower portion where the coolant ends up anyways with the heater core loop in place.

Then tapped the pipe holes to 1/2 npt for plugs. Now there is nothing on the outside of the housing, you keep the thermostat, and your coolant pasage for the head is not blocked off.
How did this mod work out for you? I am thinking about going this route.

Peregrinus

I went ahead and did this on my spare water neck, I'll install it next time I drain the coolant and see how it goes

Peregrinus

seems like it's working fine, I have ran it a few times but have not driven it yet.
Yeah I looked at it yesterday after I drilled it out, looks like it should work just fine, I'm just waiting on a 1/2" npt thread tap to come and some nice plugs from Amazon. Glad to hear it's working though!

Last edited:

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Thoughts on this, when the thermostat is closed it forces coolant into the head through the heater core causing it to warm faster.. Drilling that hole is just partially bypassing the coolant flow to the head and that is why the engineers placed the thermostat the way it is routed.

Peregrinus

I ran it with this modification right up till I put the car away for the winter. I also eliminated the oil cooler, so have the spare nipples capped off aswell. Car ran great, zero issues heating up, and temps stayed rock solid. I'll watch it some more next spring and report back with long term usage, but I think it worked out quite well.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Thoughts on this, when the thermostat is closed it forces coolant into the head through the heater core causing it to warm faster.. Drilling that hole is just partially bypassing the coolant flow to the head and that is why the engineers placed the thermostat the way it is routed.
it routes the coolant the exact same way as leaving the external loop with hose. Except it is now it is internal.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
it routes the coolant the exact same way as leaving the external loop with hose. Except it is now it is internal.
Exactly, Mine is off... Freshly painted of course cuz I think Im on board with doing this. Coolant comes from the pump, "underneath" the head entrance makes the turn up to where the thermostat is and exits out the side through the heater core then back to the head. So if you cap (Red) and drill (Yellow) you can eliminate the goofy loop.

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I ran it with this modification right up till I put the car away for the winter. I also eliminated the oil cooler, so have the spare nipples capped off aswell. Car ran great, zero issues heating up, and temps stayed rock solid. I'll watch it some more next spring and report back with long term usage, but I think it worked out quite well.
I would like to eliminate the oil cooler as well. Do you really think they are necessary? The engine is now more open to moving air than in a cobalt. I do not plan on running a Gan Prix.

Peregrinus

I would like to eliminate the oil cooler as well. Do you really think they are necessary? The engine is now more open to moving air than in a cobalt. I do not plan on running a Gan Prix.
I used the ottp adapter and installed an external oil cooler, which removes the huge stock cooler and frees up a ton of space. I could not comment on not running a cooler at all. I would imagine if you don't have alot of trafffic in your area it wouldn't be detrimental. But I'll let others chime in on that.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I used the ottp adapter and installed an external oil cooler, which removes the huge stock cooler and frees up a ton of space. I could not comment on not running a cooler at all. I would imagine if you don't have alot of trafffic in your area it wouldn't be detrimental. But I'll let others chime in on that.
Yea you can not just put a block off plate over it as there is a sensor in it... Planning on going the external route.