Helmet options

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So I had a helmet for this past weekends autocorss event that I thought was good. Turns out it is not snell approved. So I started looking at options. Wow there are a lot. There is one that I love the looks of but that should be why you decide on one. What are option you guys like.
Side note. What do you think of Zamp helmets

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Haha I found out the same thing my first time at the strip. Turns out good moto helmets meet the impact safety standards, but not fire safety. The more you know lol.

ATMironov

So I had a helmet for this past weekends autocorss event that I thought was good. Turns out it is not snell approved. So I started looking at options. Wow there are a lot. There is one that I love the looks of but that should be why you decide on one. What are option you guys like.
Side note. What do you think of Zamp helmets
I’ve been though a bunch of helmets.
My current helmet is a Roux. I got a really good deal on a SA2015 when the 2020 helmets came out.
Bell is also a great option.
I use Racequip helmets for my rentals at my track day company because they are relatively inexpensive and decent quality.

One thing to look out for is every 5 years a new version of SA is released and helmets that have a SA rating of 10 years or older at no long valid with most organizations. So I wouldn’t buy a SA 2015 helmet now.

Also, most organizations will allow M rated helmets, but M helmets done have the Fire rating an SA helmet has.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The most important is, what fits your head the best. There are different shell types for different heads. If you can find a place that has helmets in stock, you can get a good idea what brands fit you best. If you do use a motorcycle helmet, cyclegear has a ton of helmets in stock to try on and good prices. In autocross, track days and some racing the “M” snell is acceptable. More serious racing won’t allow it though. I use motorcycle helmets because I have been riding for over 20 years and I know what brands fit me. I can order them on line and know it will fit and be comfortable. My motorcycle race helmets are dot, snell and ece approved, which comply with the autocross and track stuff I do in the goblin. If I go further in racing, I’ll step up to auto type helmets, which are usually boring solid color helmets.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
The most important is, what fits your head the best. There are different shell types for different heads. If you can find a place that has helmets in stock, you can get a good idea what brands fit you best. If you do use a motorcycle helmet, cyclegear has a ton of helmets in stock to try on and good prices. In autocross, track days and some racing the “M” snell is acceptable. More serious racing won’t allow it though. I use motorcycle helmets because I have been riding for over 20 years and I know what brands fit me. I can order them on line and know it will fit and be comfortable. My motorcycle race helmets are dot, snell and ece approved, which comply with the autocross and track stuff I do in the goblin. If I go further in racing, I’ll step up to auto type helmets, which are usually boring solid color helmets.
As if you care ;)

I got a HJC M2020 snell helmet for $150 just in case I decide to man up and race one day.

Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
As if you care ;)

I got a HJC M2020 snell helmet for $150 just in case I decide to man up and race one day.

Joe
:p Being colorblind, makes me like live colors and/or cool designs, which is one of the reasons my frame is safety yellow (or pink like the Houston crew likes to call it). Motorcycle helmets have a ton of cool designs, especially the rossi helmets. Auto helmets seems to be black, white or any other solid color and boring :rolleyes: