Help me make a decision on a car...

Classy

Ok... I have ridden in 2 goblins, one supercharged, one turbocharged. They felt great and planted, but I wanted more power and I am not a huge fan of 4 cylinders.

Then I went back to looking at Exocets. I love the ability to put pretty much any engine you want in there (I really want to use a L33) but I just went and sat in and looked at possibly the most bad ass one on the planet and even though it is heavily modified in the chassis, it is an even tighter fit for me inside the cockpit. (Google Apexocet if you want to see this Pikes Peak racecar)

After that I was considering sectioning the chassis to make it wider and longer for the driver and passenger, but that is alot of work for a premade chassis.

So, here is where I am at. I REALLY want a V8, I want enough room where it isn't such a racecar and my wife won't complain about riding in it. And I really want to try to keep the budget under $20k for the whole project. I want to be able to comfortably cruise in whatever it is for a long distance, have fun in it, and it MUST have a manual.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I get that you're not a fan of 4 cylinders, but, if you can build a LSJ/LNF up to almost 600 horsepower, how can that not be enough power? That's enough power to become airborne, for heaven's sake.

You're going to be hard-pressed to keep it under $20k, unless you design/bend the chassis yourself and transplant the guts from a totaled Camaro SS, Mustang GT, or Challenger/Charger Hellcat into it.

Classy

600hp is more power than I want, but I hate how 4 cylinders sound. I have an Exocet spec’d out to about $17k leaving $3k of oops I missed that money. That includes the entire LS swap and driver train
The problem with making my own chassis is I live in Texas... getting it legal and on the road would likely be a PITA...

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I can agree with you on the sound of a 4 cyl. The thing I miss most in this world is my '90 Mustang GT with 2-chamber Flowmasters on it.

But, the sound from a 2.0 turbo with the DF exhaust isn't too bad. Nothing like the "angry bee in a tin can" sound you get from a G-ride Honda Civic (or a Cobalt, for that matter!!).

Classy

I also had complaints about width of the passenger compartment in the goblin. I am sure the driver feels fine, but in the passenger side, I had to have my left leg and arm to the right all the time to keep them away from the shifting action of the driver

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I also had complaints about width of the passenger compartment in the goblin. I am sure the driver feels fine, but in the passenger side, I had to have my left leg and arm to the right all the time to keep them away from the shifting action of the driver
but you said the exocet is smaller

Ross

Goblin Guru
20K is a bit low for most V8 kit cars. Maybe take a muscle car and strip it down to the bare bones, build it back up with a cage.

But you might still get passed by a Goblin.... just saying.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
You likely won't be able to build an LNF at or under $20K. Your best option with a Goblin is an LSJ and big turbo it and even then it'll be tight at $20K unless you hold out and knickle and dime your way to the finish.

Classy

I want to be clear and say I think the Goblin is a great kit car. It most certainly isn't off the list, but it isn't checking all the boxes, from the factory. I can partially fix the passenger and driver width issues with the doors I planned on making, I would just need to angle the bar out more than the current bar extends to give more knee space. That doesn't fix the cramped compartment feeling I get, but again, not a Goblin design flaw, it is just something I want.

The powertrain... This is something that again, I could fabricate around to make whatever I want work. My problem is that I don't want to much rear weight. A LS4 with F40 will be about 100 pounds more than a LNF F35. Getting past the power numbers (I know both power plants can make 400+ easily, but I wouldn't need to bother to open up the engine on a LS4) There would be alot of fab work, and I likely would end up cutting up the entire rear end of a goblin and redesigning it for the bigger motor. Even trying to cut weight by making a tube subframe integrated into the chassis, light weight exhaust and anything else I could find to dump weight, I see weight distribution being less than desirable.

All that aside, a 400+ hp LS4 with a F40 6 speed would sound and be extremely fun to drive

Ross

Goblin Guru
To get the rear weight forward... even cutting up the rear of a Goblin won't work. You need the motor moved to the middle of the car. The transverse transaxle in a FWD car is holding that engine near the rear. To move that V8 more mid engine, you need an expensive ZF or Graziano transaxle.

It is a lot less expensive just to balance a car (thru tires and suspension) that is rear heavy. Lots of cars take this compromise, as it is way less expensive.
You seem to want the roar of a V8, and a budget build, so does that include perfect weight distribution?

Classy

Perfect weight distribution is not required, but I don't want a wheelie machine. I would add some bars to the front to make it safer in a front end collision, which would add a few pounds maybe? Maybe I am over thinking the weight distribution issue. Assuming I can cut some weight as planned from the engine, maybe it wouldn't be all that bad. Honestly, the more I talk about these changes, the better I feel about the goblin. My only complaint assuming I do all that I have posted above would be width of the passenger compartment. I could either accept it because racecar, or figure out another way. All that being said, I am wondering if I were to go this direction, how much of a cobalt I would really need

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I second Vette kart !! You can get a high mileage c5 and strip it to the bone. My 04Z06 handle's very similar to a high powered Miata.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The center of gravity is so low in a Goblin that the tires spin on the road. Maybe a prepared drag strip might have enough traction, but not the normal street. You probably would be fine without a Cobalt donor, just buy a Saturn Vue steering, build your own engine mounts, supply your own wiring. Still need to buy wheel bearings, but I bought those new anyways. Rear Goblin suspension will probably need some front Cobalt arms, again, buy new.

Classy

It looks too big, heavy and expensive. I know it sounds like there is no making me happy

Tinkles

As someone who went the route of not buying a donor car, I highly recommend that you DO buy a donor car. I have been to Fastenal 3 times this week and just recived a McMaster-Carr order. Not to mention the multiple junkyard trips for stupid stuff.

AZmoto

I think what you may want is a Stalker XL. Although building any car with a V8 for less than $20k is going to be tough unless you go with an iron block truck motor.