Help, Stuck Rod End

KingChuck24

So I have been attempting to assemble the front upper and lower control arms. I have had some issues with tapping out the threads mostly due to small little pebbles or little debris getting stuck in the thread.

One of the rod ends I put into the control arm also got stuck in a very similar way but through a lot of brute force I was able to remove it:

This is how messed up the thread was when I pulled it out.

So basically I put the rod end into the threads and tightened it down and then I would feel some force against me. I would start to pull it out then it would get harder and harder, this caused it to get stuck.

I have accidently done this again and I have no idea how to remove this other stuck one:

I have put it into my vice and attempted to loosen it but it just keeps getting tighter and tighter, I accidently ruined the powder coat on the control arm which is also very unfortunate:

Bad photo but it is all scuffed.

I don't know if anyone else has experinced this. If so what did you do. I am considering grinding off the top and drilling out the bolt, my only concern is I will not drill straight and completely destroy the threads of the control arm.

My current thinking is, maybe try with multiple people to force it out, I don't think this will work but maybe worth a shot, next I would probably attempt to drill. If all else fails I may need to order another control arm from DF and get it coated.

Edit: I could also maybe drop it off at a machine shop or some place that could try and get it out for me.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I had the exact same problem. The solution, in my case, was a pair of new control arms, a new powder coat job for them, and new Heim joints.

Goblin Guru
In my case, it was determined that it was not my fault, so the control arms were replaced at no charge. Your mileage can and will vary. I would email DF support or call them on Monday and tell them what happened. All I can promise is, they take good care of their customers and they will take care of you as best they can, but obviously I don't speak for DF and so your situation will need to be assessed.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If these arms didn't have the threads protected prior to powder coating, were the threads chased before trying to install the heims after powder coating? Those 'pebbles' are probably powder coat globules.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Then you are probably in the same situation that @Ark :D had. Get in touch with Adam to explain your situation. Chances are they will make this right.

And as @Ark :D stated, you are probably stuck with getting new part. But, you could try heat (torch) on the arm and a generous amount of PB Blaster.

Goblin Guru
They were tapped, is tapping the same as chasing? I am also pretty sure the threads were covered, there is a pretty noticeable line where the powder coat stops.
By "chasing", DS means following up after powder coating, with a tap to clean the threads up. In my situation it was determined that the threads were never cleaned up after welding, because my powder coater had masked off the holes completely before coating.

Regardless, you're likely looking at new control arms, and a new powder coat job. I have a tap I can send you ... graciously given to me by another forum member (@Murcielago311 ), and I'd be happy to pay his kindness forward.

Last edited:

KingChuck24

By "chasing", DS means following up after powder coating, with a tap to clean up the threads up. In my situation it was determined that the threads were never cleaned up after welding, because my powder coater had masked off the holes completely before coating.

Regardless, you're likely looking at new control arms, and a new powder coat job. I have a tap I can send you ... graciously given to me by another forum member (@Murcielago311 ), and I'd be happy to pay his kindness forward.
That would be amazing if you could do that, I have the smaller tap for the 1/4 inch heim bolts but not the 3/4 one. I'll PM you my address.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Make sure you anti-seize on the threads. Stainless tends to gall easily, and it doesn’t take much of a tight spot in the threads to cause problems. It is possible to get larger items stuck so they don’t come out and smaller bolts will break before they unscrew. This can also happen if you tighten stainless bolts too much.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
For mine, I retapped the control arms prior to powder coating. I made sure all the helm joints would go in without issue. I them bought sacrificial bolts to thread into the holes prior to coating so that powder or blast media could not get in. Then removed the bolts and check the helm joint again and chase the threads as necessary.

Joe

KingChuck24

For mine, I retapped the control arms prior to powder coating. I made sure all the helm joints would go in without issue. I them bought sacrificial bolts to thread into the holes prior to coating so that powder or blast media could not get in. Then removed the bolts and check the helm joint again and chase the threads as necessary.
View attachment 36204

Joe
This sounds like a good idea, I will probably end up doing that. In regards to the threads on the frame that attach the subframe, will I have similar issues? Is there anyway to guarantee I don't mess it up because I definitely cannot order a new frame.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I didn't tap the subframe bolt threads but did put a couple of the donor bolts in to protect the threads. I would make sure that they thread in easily by hand and chase is need be. If they weren't protected, they might have blast media as well as powder inside. This goes for the seat belt threads in the tunnel as well as the headlight mounting on the front. Also be sure to chase out the powder from the front suspension arm holes with a tight fitting drill bit.

Joe