Hi all. UPDATE Frame #246

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Good wrap on the supercharger, not so much on the alt. Did you swap to the LNF tensioner?

Beat me to it, I think the alt will work either direction.
Alternator on the LAP turned that way from factory. It also can be turned either way. The wrap on the alternator is working fine. I can charge 14.2 all day. Also remember there is no real load on these compared to the cobalt. NO a/c , blower motor, and most all lights are led. This is a close copy of what the Ariel Atom ran when they were putting ecotecs in.

This is more like what i'm looking at doing.
That is more what I wanted to do but it screwed up my coolant hose routing. And less idlers in the system is better. I may change it this winter but for now it is fine.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You are wanting to do the belt routing on the left instead of the stock LSJ routing on the right.
The left has: Crank, tensioner, 2 idlers, supercharger and altenator.
The LSJ has: Crank, tensioner, 1 idler, supercharger and altenator and an AC pump.

Once you gut the AC pump, all that is left is 2 bolts that hold an aluminum mount that holds a bearing that holds a pulley. That is essentially what an idler pulley is. So you are going to a lot of work to re-engineer it. The stock routing has aftermarket shorter belts to support smaller supercharger pulleys. What do you gain by re-routing the belt? It seems like a lot of work, and opens up possible future issues.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
You are wanting to do the belt routing on the left instead of the stock LSJ routing on the right.
The left has: Crank, tensioner, 2 idlers, supercharger and altenator.
The LSJ has: Crank, tensioner, 1 idler, supercharger and altenator and an AC pump.

View attachment 16021 View attachment 16022

Once you gut the AC pump, all that is left is 2 bolts that hold an aluminum mount that holds a bearing that holds a pulley. That is essentially what an idler pulley is. So you are going to a lot of work to re-engineer it. The stock routing has aftermarket shorter belts to support smaller supercharger pulleys. What do you gain by re-routing the belt? It seems like a lot of work, and opens up possible future issues.
If I went the stock LSJ route. I would of needed to buy the LSJ tensioner, Idler and an AC compressor. The way I did mine was buy a Idler pulley.

This is what I was trying to copy
If I had access to a mill I would of made a Idler bracket like the Ariel Atom used. I came close. Plenty of belts available.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Agreed, these car have very little load on the alt. A little to run the engine and electronics, charge the battery and power the LED lights. A 60A alternator supplying probably 3A

Ross

Goblin Guru
Really I don't like the double sided belt or the crazy expensive tensioner.
Didn't your 07 LSJ come with one included at no extra cost?
I wonder if we can find a one sided belt, as you guys mentioned, we hardly use the alternator, and that is the only thing that uses the back side.

95Blitz

Didn't your 07 LSJ come with one included at no extra cost?
I wonder if we can find a one sided belt, as you guys mentioned, we hardly use the alternator, and that is the only thing that uses the back side.
Oh I payed for it.... :) A belt should be the easy part.

I have an update on my donor it was picked up today. :cool: I might have it by this weekend.

Dale E

Ross ==The picture shown has the belt running from the alternator down to the crank pulley - 6 pulleys, same as normal LSJ. You can buy flat or grooved pulleys - so a one-sided grooved belt should work..

95Blitz

Thanks Ross, Yup well it needs to come off anyway to check timing chains.

Worked on the donor a little fixed the key fob the battery bracket broken off, I know I won't use it but fixed it anyway.
And pulled the refrigerant from the system the correct way.. :rolleyes:
ACwork.jpg

95Blitz

You got some interesting "customers" at your shop there...... :)
Inside are Grob G120TP's thats what I work on now. Been on this contract 20 years now have worked on cessna 172, 182, Beech Baron, and kingair 200's aka C12's, Zlin 242L.
Outside in the picture are the Army owned C12's and now maintained a different contractor.