High IAT2 temps and KR

Lando217

Thanks for the info!
Have you tried the pump two pump idea? I've read on the cobalt forums that adding a second pump doesn't add anymore flow? i can see helping with circulation so one pump it not doing the whole loop, with two pumps it will distribute the work load.
But a lot of people on the cobalt forums speak and post without any actual facts.
i would trust the Goblin forum 10 fold.
Varimax pump is another option if you can find one, but most places are showing it out of stock.

Lingenfelter has several options; Fans / Pumps & Cooling Accessories: Lingenfelter Performance Engineering

I still think the most cost effective thing to do if you have a standard Bosch pump is to add another one of the same pump for sub $100.

Tim Moland

Tim Are you talking about the High output ZZP pump? the one with some red casing on it? iv been checking weekly because they are sold out. Have you seen any other upgraded pump brand?
Yes, the zzp pump with the red casing is what I am using. There are several other pumps out there, including some people using irrigation/water feature pumps, but I don't know anything about them.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the info!
Have you tried the pump two pump idea? I've read on the cobalt forums that adding a second pump doesn't add anymore flow? i can see helping with circulation so one pump it not doing the whole loop, with two pumps it will distribute the work load.
But a lot of people on the cobalt forums speak and post without any actual facts.
i would trust the Goblin forum 10 fold.
My background with pumps says it will flow more. I have done it on my Camaro, but I didn't set things up to test it. That is the hard part of knowing whether it makes a difference is finding a good way of testing it. Unless someone installed a flow meter they would have trouble testing the real difference.

You will want to put them in series and not parallel. The flow won't double with 2 pumps, but would likely be between 25% and 50% increase.

I would stay away from the cheap bilge/water feature pumps. Most of those are not designed for the amount of restriction in an automotive type system (not to mention elevated temperatures) and the stock Goblin system will have more restriction than your normal front engine car.

If my relocated and larger heat exchanger doesn't get enough air flow and I try the stock system, I will likely use a pump on the hot side just prior to the heat exchanger (to give the water time to cool off some) and one in the rear prior to the intercooler, although the math would say that on a closed loop system it shouldn't matter where in the loop they are located.

Here are a couple of links that contain pump curve comparison between various pumps.
intercooler pump alternative. | Cadillac CTS-V Forum (ctsvowners.com)
Lingenfelter Intercooler pump flow testing results | FI Interchillers
The hard part is knowing where on the curve (what your resistance to flow is) to figure out what pump is best for each application.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I would stay away from the cheap bilge/water feature pumps. Most of those are not designed for the amount of restriction in an automotive type system (not to mention elevated temperatures) and the stock Goblin system will have more restriction than your normal front engine car.
How high of a fluid temperature is expected in the intercooler/heat exchanger system? 100F? 125F? 150F?
Nominally one should expect ambient plus the average temperature that the heat exchanger system can not effectively dissipate. There will be latent temperature spikes if you're educating a Ricer Boi not mess with a Goblin, but the system will level off at it's best operating temperature.
In a good system the fluid temperature should be ambient to plus 20 degrees average. In a not so good system it could be significantly above that operating temperature. If you live out here in the desert , like I do, the system will require cooling enhancements to get it below the ambient temperature. Don't want to run at 115F and higher.
Agreed that flow restrictions have a significant affect on the efficiency of the heat exchanger system and the operating temperature. The 'stock' DF system was set up for the GM SC or similar pump for flow and pressure. The approximately 1/2 inch lines and heat exchanger are adequate to keep the fluid temperature within a reasonable range that keeps the IATs in check.
On a higher HP system it is necessary to increase flow volume, while maintaining equal pressure, which is best accomplished by increasing line size. A 3/4 inch system will flow about 70% more fluid than the stock system. This also requires a bigger pump to match the GPM capacity of the larger lines, intercooler and heat exchanger(s) that have 3/4 inch lines. There are many pumps to choose from - and some are found in the marine pump selections (not all are cheap and incapable).
I plan to incorporate a 3/4 inch fluid system that will use an adjustable pressure 5 plus GPM pump at rated pressure. Getting the correct flow rate is a factor of the pressure setting, which is checked by the spill-to-fill test (time to fill a 1 gallon container).

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Thanks guys for the Information. i have a better grasp on what i might do now!
My IAT2 is running at 160 so I just ordered the ZZP FLOJET INTERCOOLER PUMP & INTERCOOLER fill kit , I will start with this to try and cool temperatures. The BOSCH INTERCOOLER pump is very hot 160 degrees so I don’t think having it mounted on the engine helps with this running hot. Any thoughts on this.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My IAT2 is running at 160 so I just ordered the ZZP FLOJET INTERCOOLER PUMP & INTERCOOLER fill kit , I will start with this to try and cool temperatures. The BOSCH INTERCOOLER pump is very hot 160 degrees so I don’t think having it mounted on the engine helps with this running hot. Any thoughts on this.
Are you sure the pump is running and flowing coolant? Most of them are bad.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure that pump will increase flow any, that looks like it's designed for systems that have a lot of restriction. Ours might meet that definition but I doubt it flows less than 3 gallons a minute. I would definitely try and check the current flow before I tried that pump. If you aren't going to measure existing flow, I think your money/effort would be better spent adding an addition bosch pump instead.

Are you running the pump before or after the the intercooler. It's best to run them before the intercooler and after the heat exchanger.

Have you tried a vacuum fill of the system to make sure you don't have an air pocket?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure that pump will increase flow any, that looks like it's designed for systems that have a lot of restriction. Ours might meet that definition but I doubt it flows less than 3 gallons a minute. I would definitely try and check the current flow before I tried that pump. If you aren't going to measure existing flow, I think your money/effort would be better spent adding an addition bosch pump instead.

Are you running the pump before or after the the intercooler. It's best to run them before the intercooler and after the heat exchanger.

Have you tried a vacuum fill of the system to make sure you don't have an air pocket?
I ordered the INTERCOOLER fill kit to do away with air in lines.
Mine is run the same way as this one the hose running down to pump then through the frame up to the front.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If the pump is working (and flowing the proper direction) and there are no other issues, this system should work well and not need for additional units.

With this setup, I can see the flow very well. Not that I suggest everyone do this, it's just an advantage of this setup. Interesting to see the amount of air trapped in the system.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
If the pump is working (and flowing the proper direction) and there are no other issues, this system should work well and not need for additional units.

With this setup, I can see the flow very well. Not that I suggest everyone do this, it's just an advantage of this setup. Interesting to see the amount of air trapped in the system.

View attachment 23291
I like the clear line even if only a couple of feet so I can see the flow running through

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I ordered the INTERCOOLER fill kit to do away with air in lines.
Mine is run the same way as this one the hose running down to pump then through the frame up to the front.
I can't really tell from the picture which side the pump is on. It's best if the hose connection on the side of the pump is toward the intercooler and the on in the end of the pump is toward the heat exchanger. Although I don't know that the water gets hot enough on our systems to affect the pump. I found some of the bosch pumps can handle 275 degrees others are listed for 190.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I can't really tell from the picture which side the pump is on. It's best if the hose connection on the side of the pump is toward the intercooler and the on in the end of the pump is toward the heat exchanger. Although I don't know that the water gets hot enough on our systems to affect the pump. I found some of the bosch pumps can handle 275 degrees others are listed for 190.
That’s the way I did mine, Like you said

Attachments

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Well I installed my new pump and what a big difference in flow but my IAT2 still running at 156 temp. The temp. didn’t change at all even though I can definitely see a lot better flow !
So what should I do next to try and remedy the heat problem?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Well I installed my new pump and what a big difference in flow but my IAT2 still running at 156 temp. The temp. didn’t change at all even though I can definitely see a lot better flow !
So what should I do next to try and remedy the heat problem?
I can’t remember, do you have the bypass on your intercooler? I don’t suppose there’s anyway you can find out what the temperatures of the water returning to your intercooler from your heat exchanger?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Also, by chance did you clean your laminova tubes or ever remove them and inspect them? If so were you sure you have them back in the correct position and orientation? Ours were really dirty and had an oily film on it, I believe that’s oil being sucked in from the PCV.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I can’t remember, do you have the bypass on your intercooler? I don’t suppose there’s anyway you can find out what the temperatures of the water returning to your intercooler from your heat exchanger?
What is this bypass thing you speak of ? I can check the temperature before going into INTERCOOLER tomorrow.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Also, by chance did you clean your laminova tubes or ever remove them and inspect them? If so were you sure you have them back in the correct position and orientation? Ours were really dirty and had an oily film on it, I believe that’s oil being sucked in from the PCV.
No I didn’t clean them , Hate to admit it but I don’t know what exactly you are referring to ! Guess I need to goggle LAMINOVA TUBES . I didn’t know that had a correct way to go

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What is this bypass thing you speak of ? I can check the temperature before going into INTERCOOLER tomorrow.
Sorry, I called it bypass, it's the dual pass option from ZZP. It's supposed to help with cooling. We have one. Can't tell you if in fact it helps.