Higher ride height

Dsteinhorst

Has anyone gotten longer front shocks to gain some ride height? It looks like QA1 PN: DS403 is an inch longer. I'm nearly all the way up on my current ones; only have about 1/2" extend travel when sitting on flat level surface.

The roads around here are pretty trashed. My wife scraped a bit over a "road imperfection" yesterday, and my driveway has a bit of an approach. Another inch sure would go a long way.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Taller tires would remedy that without going through all the gyrations of redoing your suspension. :). And have more sidewall for the potholes.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Increasing the ride height of the front end will affect the bumpsteer. I agree with Desert, taller tires won't affect the suspension as much but comes with a price of taller final drive ratio and increase unsprung weight.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Narrow sidewalls and midwest potholes don't mix. Taller sidewalls will help prevent rim damage and provide some suspension cushion before hitting the suspension bump stops. I used to live in pothole central and those slightly taller tires may be less expensive than you may think - definitely cheaper than rims and suspension pieces.

Dsteinhorst

My 205/50/15 should be enough for normal road driving. It's the front end clearance that's the problem.
I would think leveling the tie rods with the steering rack would have a positive effect on bumpsteer. Right now, my tie rods angle up nearly an inch over their length, which would cause toe-out during shock compression.
I ordered the 1" longer shocks. I should be able to gain about an inch of clearance and a bonus 1/4" of shock extend travel when static. I'll update findings when I get them installed.
I realize this seems like a lot of screwing around to some people, but I can't install my nose and windshield without a change.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Can we get a picture of what you have now to show the angles of the lower control arms and the steering rack? Seems your steering rod angle is off from your description.

Dsteinhorst

Desert Sasqwach, thanks for hanging with this adventure.
Pictures:
This is a straight shot of the front end arm angles. The lower CA is just past level. This picture may be slightly deceiving. The frame end of the CA is about 1/8" higher than the knucke end.
20200609_190114.jpg

From the rear. Shows the steering tie rods angle up to the knuckle from the rack about 1" from end to end.
20200609_190137.jpg

Shows clearance of 3.5" at lowest and furthest forward point.
20200609_190239.jpg

In this picture, I taped the rod where it met the body when static, then lifted it up with a jack and shoved a rule in. Shows 3/8" extension travel left when sitting static without load. Gains about 1/8" with driver and passenger weight.
20200609_190517.jpg

My camber is at about 2 degrees without adjustment. Caster hasn't been measured. Toe is 1/8" in when static.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, this one is a head scratcher. The lower arms appear to be close to level, maybe slightly upward at the wheel. But you have almost fully extended the supplied shocks in their travel in the current configuration. Visually the geometry looks correct, but you have 3.5 inches of ground clearance, not desirable unless you have a track only car.
I'm thinking that putting on longer shocks can help get more piston travel in the shock and some slight adjustment to the lower control arm to go slightly higher in ride height. Not sure you will get more than 3/4 inch clearance increase without pushing the control arm down too far.
Sorry but I keep coming back to your wheel and tire combination. A 205/50-15 is only 23 inches in diameter - a full 2 inches shorter than the 'stock' tires (25 inches) which makes for 1 inch less ground clearance, all things being equal. On my car I have 25 inch tires that should get me 4.5 to 5 inches of ground clearance, which aligns with many other builders measurements. I'm not sure the 5 inches of ground clearance you desire can be achieved with this combination. The suspension geometry may be compromised trying to get there.
I'm sure others may chime in and they may have other options to try. :D

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Seeing your steering arm not level means that you have some room to increase the ride height before it negatively affects your bump steer. In fact, making that level will help reduce it. And I'm with Desert, you have small tires compared to most. Going up a couple of sizes will give you an additional inch or so. Both might get you to the 5 inches.

WYGoblin

Have you looked at ManDan 1957 build. I think he flipped the lower CA and swapped sides for greater ground clearance. I am not sure if he has any issues with bump steer but might be worth looking at.

Dsteinhorst

Thanks, WY! It looks like a maximum of 4" can be gained that way. Depending on how this shock experiment goes, I might have to try that.

Dsteinhorst

Update. Longer shocks are perfect! Gained a bit over an inch clearance and doubled downtravel. Tie rods are level and there's plenty of clearance all around. No scraping pulling out of my driveway.

I raised the rear to level it out, checked camber, and dialed in toe. For anyone else looking for a bit more height, forego the kit supplied shocks and get DS403 instead.