Hood mounting

Lndshrk Steve

A quick question. When attaching the mounting plate on the front of the hood, does it make a difference of HOW you rivet it on? I've only seen one and it had the rivets and plate w/Dzus fasteners on the same side (below) the fiberglass hood. I'm thinking of sandwiching the fiberglass between the two. Rivets on bottom, thru fiberglass, into the plate on top. Any opinions? Well, I know there are opinions but I want to hear them anyway ;).

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm pretty sure I did mine like you are wanting to do. Typically, I would use the large diameter end if the rivet against the weaker material (fiberglass) and the smaller end against the stronger material (steel).

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I considered adding washers but decided it was fine without them. If you are adding hinges I would probably do some additional reinforcement. At that point I would probably drill a flat piece of aluminum to match and then rivet and epoxy it together.

Last edited:

Josh's09

Does anyone have pictures of this? I can't for the life of me get the lip on the front of the hood to work around the radiator.

Lndshrk Steve

It is tight, you may have to remove just a little fiberglass.

Also, I put an aluminum rub plate on the bottom to sandwich the fiberglass in with the rivets. The factory plate with the fasteners inside the fiberglass.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have pictures of this? I can't for the life of me get the lip on the front of the hood to work around the radiator.
I had to trim mine a bit to get it all to clear the radiator. And by a bit, I mean a lot. A Dremel, mask and eye protection worked well.

And my plate with the holders was on the bottom of the fiberglass (opposite to what you have).

Joebob

Goblin Guru
As I was concerned with the rivets pulling through the fiberglass, I just bolted mine and sandwiched between washers. doing it to the bottom of the hood, gives you more clearance with the radiator.

neodied

I had to trim mine a bit to get it all to clear the radiator. And by a bit, I mean a lot. A Dremel, mask and eye protection worked well.

And my plate with the holders was on the bottom of the fiberglass (opposite to what you have).
I had to do the same, and second the legit (not cloth) mask recommendation, or set up a good fan to blow the dust away from you. Fiberglass can shred your lungs.