Hood pin latch

MR.812

Last edited:

lksohm

Love it!

Mind sharing how you used the hinges? I have been trying to work out a way to do this but haven't made anything I'm happy with yet.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Curious if you could repurpose a hood or trunk strut to hold the hook up. It may not do the full 90 like the string allows, but it should give you enough room for most things under the hood

Dale E

Visit your local kitchen cabinet store and check out their hold open sections. A simple 4 dollar over center type (break-over) hinge should work (need 2 one each side or your hood will wiggle in the wind when open). Or their toy box pneumatic hinge section. My Stalker bonnet is probably about the same weight as the Goblin hood and I hold it open (on one side) with a simple bend 1/8th inch bar.

The normal automotive hood struts are probably too strong pneumatically.

Also, you can attach a spring to the chassis and the other end to the hood, and it will simply unfold when you open the hood and become in its' stiffened state, and when you close the hood it will fold in a u-shape.

Dale

jirwin

Goblin Guru
@MR.812 I ordered the same hood pin latch things and I am having a bear of a time getting them to work (off the car, just in my hand). At first I couldn't get one of the pins into the receiver, but after some (excessive) force, I was able to get one to click. Now its just stuck in there and the button won't depress to release it. Did you have any issues? Am I missing something??

MR.812

I have not had any issues. Hope I don’t but I just lightly pull up on the hood while pushing done on the center button.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I haven't decided if I'm going to try the pin flavor with a spring or stop to hold it in place, or spend the money on those Quik-Latch ones. Either will work I suppose, I just don't want any rattle

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I was planning on using the Quik Latch mini's - like the 1.25" or 1.50" ones. I don't think we need the large ones like regular hoods, just 2 latches at $27 a pop to use with the tube brackets like above. It may be twice as much as the knock offs but it's not prohibitive. $54 vs the kits for $140 is not bad.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Ordered the 1.5” Quik-Latch ones from Summit. Happy to report that they worked right out of the box