Houston SCCA Autocross

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It was a good day. Long…….very long, but a good day. It was awkward for me. No double runs and no competition (Brett was in novice class not EM). I was off my game, mostly just making sure Brett was ready and having a good time. I made my runs and goofed st a few places, but hey, better than working right? I’ll load videos tomorrow When I have good interwebs at work. Here’s a few pics though.
C50A2B1B-A461-46D7-8F8C-5CB28A0AE31F.jpeg
3825BE4F-1C70-4B97-9F28-AB52DA15B6EF.jpeg
3F287739-C0DD-4B24-BD90-EE46ED7D031A.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Congrats Brett! You might have missed knocking down cones, but you did scare a few of them.
That is the same parking lot that I got to race on when I was there last year. They said it was the last race... guess not.
Looks like you had fun.
Ya. Was supposed to be. Like Brett said, the second annual “last time” at gulf greyhound park. It’ll be like Texas World Speedway, about 2 years worth of “the last time” :D

Classy

One of my straps came untied on the highway and it is now about 4 feet shorter, looks good as new!

I struggled aswell… I learned the hard way that no top means no air making my spoiler work… BUT!!! I was closing time on the people who have always beat me, I am excited to see what happens in April

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Had a great time at autocross today with Russell (rttoys). Without Russel and Jason (jbintx), I wouldn't have been able to make it since I don't have a trailer nor a tow vehicle (longish story for another time). Big thank you to the both of them for the help.

Brett,

Get insurance and then a safety only inspection. Then get an appointment to the tax office on Pech and Longpoint. Pay $25 to get a 30 day transit permit and BOOM, you can legally drive around. For 30 days.

Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This one was one of my worst one actually, due to Brett. Coming off the start line and in the first right hander, I hear an odd tire screeching. You'll see me looking down at the dr front tire still in the turn. Nothing felt weird, but it bugged me. I later find out what I heard was Brett spinning to a stop. :eek:

Scott #321

Other than a wing and sway bar any other thoughts on getting the rear planted better. Autocross today and rear seems way loose for the cars weight distribution. 255 Nitro NT01 square setup 1/8 in toe front and rear. Tire heat seemed pretty uniform across the tread so copying the camber set you guys have posted seems about right.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Easiest is installing the “comfort ride” sway bar with ss end links (Shorter). Crank your front shock adjusters up to help transfer weight to the back. rear shock adjusters should be somewhere around 3/4 the way up.

are you doing your own alignments? We are finding new things on alignments and rear suspension settings.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The wing won't add much under 60mph and it would have to be mounted high in 'clean' air to have any effect. Adding a rear swaybar (front bar on the Cobalt) will help with limit rear body roll, if that is where the problem lies. Stiffening the rear will also induce some oversteer, so using the NA 18mm bar is recommended to start.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The wing won't add much under 60mph and it would have to be mounted high in 'clean' air to have any effect. Adding a rear swaybar (front bar on the Cobalt) will help with limit rear body roll, if that is where the problem lies. Stiffening the rear will also induce some oversteer, so using the NA 18mm bar is recommended to start.
I’m almost at the point of trying the ss bar. I still have mine and curious what it will do.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Since you have a lot of experience with the NA swaybar, I'm sure many of us would be curious to see how the SS bar would behave - especially since you have your Goblin pretty well dialed in. ;)

Classy

I am going to the April 3rd Starting Line school, partially to get better at driving but mostly to shake down the new power, assuming I have my care tuned and running right by then…

SACTX

We need another one of those practice days!
Amen to that!

Other than a wing and sway bar any other thoughts on getting the rear planted better. Autocross today and rear seems way loose for the cars weight distribution. 255 Nitro NT01 square setup 1/8 in toe front and rear. Tire heat seemed pretty uniform across the tread so copying the camber set you guys have posted seems about right.
I think I'm finally dialing in my car. I have always felt that the car was not connected correctly. The front would slide out or the backend would be going to snap oversteer if I even touched the gas on corner exit. I was going in the same direction as everyone else for set up and I was getting frustrated. I ended up going completely opposite to what everyone else was doing and it worked for me.

Before the last autocross I:
Dropped the rear end down to where the toe arms are angled up about 2 degrees going out.
Brought the front end up about 1" to where I now have about 2" of rake from front to back. Having more rake only made the rear end more unstable.
Installed the comfort ride sway bar
Increased tire pressures based on MFG recommendations for the previous generation of the R888r's (R888's)

After doing this I was still all over the place. It was feeling better but the stiff front end shocks with the higher pressures made the front end bounce so much that I was having trouble keeping the car pointed in the right direction. I took the front shocks all the way down to 3 clicks from softest and took the rear to 10 clicks from softest. The car came alive for me after that. It started feeling like I wanted it to. It hit corners with the bite I wanted and was still lively on exit but I could control it better. I went from 3-4 seconds slower than Russell and Jason within .1 second from both of them.

We all drive different and I had to go completely opposite of what everyone was saying to get my car to feel how I wanted. I'm going to keep this set up for next weekend and see if I'm still as fast. Find what works for you and don't be afraid to go opposite of what someone else does.

Last edited: