Houston SCCA Autocross

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
There’s a couple of us running SCCA autocross here in the Houston area, so here’s a dedicated thread for it.

Post up the good, the bad and the ugly.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
In a friendly competition between Jason and his son, I ended up 3rd today, only a quarter second slower beating Jason’s son Cooper. Here is my fastest run of the day.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
We've been busy down here in Texas.... :)

ATMironov

Work on smoothing out your inputs. For the first spin there is a really sharp steering input that upset the car. In the 2nd video you can hear how much your stabbing the throttle which probably caused the spin.
Otherwise it looks like fun!

SACTX

Work on smoothing out your inputs. For the first spin there is a really sharp steering input that upset the car. In the 2nd video you can hear how much your stabbing the throttle which probably caused the spin.
Otherwise it looks like fun!
Yea, I'll be doing some things differently next time.

The computer was pulling boost on the TVS and I hadn't figured out why so I bypassed the boost module and it's really touchy. On a tuning log, I went from 19psi vacuum to 17psi boost in about 1 sec. It's instantaneous and you only need to touch the throttle and it's around. I put just a little too much throttle and it went right around. I'll be fixing that....

Part of it is tires. I am running 340 treadwear tires (BFG Comp 2)and was running 24 psi which is what I run on the street. I need more tire and less pressure. I knew they'd be a little slippery but I was not prepared for how slippery.

Last was the dampers. I ran them on my street settings the first run. Middle of the range in front, and 1/3 of range in back. I stiffened up the dampers after the first run and tweaked them once more. I ended up 4 clicks from the stiffest in the front and 20 of 32 clicks in the rear.

This was my last and fastest run.

Thanks!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Had a great day. Reviewing video is a great way to improve. Definitely love the brake proportioning now that I added a prop valve. I can hit the brakes with much more confidence than before. There’s still some tweaking to do, plus add in some more experience and it’s going to be a hell of a fun ride.

Attachments

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Had a great day. Reviewing video is a great way to improve. Definitely love the brake proportioning now that I added a prop valve. I can hit the brakes with much more confidence than before. There’s still some tweaking to do, plus add in some more experience and it’s going to be a hell of a fun ride.
If you had a wang like the other 2 professional drivers you run with you could run a better time. LOL

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Another autocross came and went. This was a very fast track. Some passengers may or may not still be shaking from their ride. :D Jason was on top followed, by me, Jason’s son and Scott. We are getting faster........and still spinning out.

Jason- 53.806
Me- 55.789
Cooper- 56.014
Scott- 57.315

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Another autocross came and went. This was a very fast track. Some passengers may or may not still be shaking from their ride. :D Jason was on top followed, by me, Jason’s son and Scott. We are getting faster........and still spinning out.

Jason- 53.806
Me- 55.789
Cooper- 56.014
Scott- 57.315

I know that parking lot well as I used to live in Houston. Any live horse racing going on that day? My guess would be no but I always tried to get to the track on days when there was!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I know that parking lot well as I used to live in Houston. Any live horse racing going on that day? My guess would be no but I always tried to get to the track on days when there was!
Gulf greyhouse park where we run has been shut down for several years. Sam Houston race park (horses) is still open, but I don’t think they run there anymore or if they do it’s only every once in a while. I use to live by the horse track (249 and beltway 8) and we went a lot back in the day, but I haven’t been there in in probably 10 years or better.

I wish we would run autocross at the horse track, it’s closer to me than going through town and south to Dickinson.

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Gulf greyhouse park where we run has been shut down for several years. Sam Houston race park (horses) is still open, but I don’t think they run there anymore or if they do it’s only every once in a while. I use to live by the horse track (249 and beltway 8) and we went a lot back in the day, but I haven’t been there in in probably 10 years or better.

I wish we would run autocross at the horse track, it’s closer to me than going through town and south to Dickinson.
Uh duh! I was thinking of the wrong track & the wrong side of town...Jeez! My memory ain't what it used to be....LOL