how do I recognize a limited slip differential?

apchar

I've finally got a line on a 2005 SS supercharged cobalt. But the limited slip differential on the 2005 was optional. What do I look for to tell the difference (short of pouring butter under one of the wheels and punching the gas) ?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The trunk plate will show code G85 if you have the LSD. (At least for LNF, but I believe it's the same for LSJ)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
There's a metal plate riveted to the floor of your trunk, under the carpet. Or, like Luke said, you can just look for "LSD" on the transmission.

apchar

Thanks guys. If it doesnt have an LSD, I see them online for as little as $350 new. Is there any reason I cant add one once my goblin is built?

Ross

Goblin Guru
It is a lot of labor to get that deep into the transaxle, and I have heard it takes specialized tools... so depending on your skill level, yes you could add one. This car is so light, that it barely spins my wide tires before it grabs and goes... I have never seen it do a one wheel peel. If your are an autocross racer, then you probably can justify it.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Thanks guys. If it doesnt have an LSD, I see them online for as little as $350 new. Is there any reason I cant add one once my goblin is built?
I was the first one to send Lonny a transmission that he installed the LSD. He did it with the other brand new ones that DF offers. I can tell you there are some VERY specialized tools and procedures involved there.
PM Lonny if you are interested in them doing it for you.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I was the first one to send Lonny a transmission that he installed the LSD. He did it with the other brand new ones that DF offers. I can tell you there are some VERY specialized tools and procedures involved there.
PM Lonny if you are interested in them doing it for you.
P.S. Lonny is very good, but he likes to charge for his time......... ;)

apchar

If it comes to that I'll (try to) do it myself. That's why I'm getting into this. I'm not afraid to break something. I expect to. :p
The owners going to look for the VIN when he gets home. If the sacrificial Cobalt looks OK I'll finally order my goblin. I have to find someone in Tucson that can receive it. God knows what a freight terminal will charge on top of the delivery costs.

gofast

I know this LSD issue has been beaten to death over time, but I have another question. My 2009 SS/TC has the G85 code. The guy I bought the car from said he trashed 2nd gear and replaced the LSD transmission with a non LSD. I have the transmission he said he removed but the tag does not have LSD on it. He even told me he preferred the LSD. Do some of the LSD transmissions not have LSD stamped on the tags? Is there a way for me to confirm whether or not I have LSD?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I know this LSD issue has been beaten to death over time, but I have another question. My 2009 SS/TC has the G85 code. The guy I bought the car from said he trashed 2nd gear and replaced the LSD transmission with a non LSD. I have the transmission he said he removed but the tag does not have LSD on it. He even told me he preferred the LSD. Do some of the LSD transmissions not have LSD stamped on the tags? Is there a way for me to confirm whether or not I have LSD?
Not all of them have "LSD" on the tag. Mine doesn't have it on the tag but does have it on the build sheet. I have no reason to doubt that it does in fact have the LSD.

By the way, don't use degreaser on tag. Eats the paint off immediately. :mad:

DSCN0945.JPG

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Lonny: When you add the Quaife LSD to a transmission at the factory, do you alter the plate and stamp it in some way?

gofast

Lonny, the images you had were great. Three extra transmissions were included with the purchase of my car. Two are LSD and the third is not. This is just as the seller said. And now it's confirmed that not all LSD transmissions have LSD stamped on the tags. You must look in the axle hole to know for sure.