How fast is it?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m not seeing any news articles for that accident. When was it?
From facespace on Saturday sometime on I10 near downtown? Blowout and crash, someone said it was a goblin. Once JBINTX text us though our mass chat and we text those who are not in our chat. Everyone was accounted for (and their goblins), so we (I) don’t know anything last that.

PaulPerger

Frame 301. Alfonso Rivas III on Facebook. He says he blew a tire, passed out in the air. Looks like he wrecked the suspension on the left side. He is okay.

For some reason, I can't copy the picture in today, but I can attach files. Wierd.
"He passed out in the air"? Did he roll it? It looks like the suspension on the RF, RR and RF are all toast.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
No roll. Turbo car with Mickey Thompson tires. Who knows what the full story is.
We ran a set of Mickey Thompsons last month at the drag strip and it was all I could do to keep it in my lane. They even shut the track down to look for oil. I only made one pass. Went back to the R1R's and drove just fine. About 80mph, and everything went to crap. The launch was aaawweessome though. 98mph at 660' and 11.5s at 81mph. Around 660' is where my talent ran out.

Trail_Creeper

We ran a set of Mickey Thompsons last month at the drag strip and it was all I could do to keep it in my lane. They even shut the track down to look for oil. I only made one pass. Went back to the R1R's and drove just fine. About 80mph, and everything went to crap. The launch was aaawweessome though. 98mph at 660' and 11.5s at 81mph. Around 660' is where my talent ran out.
Out of curiosity. What were your tire pressures with M/T's?

Trail_Creeper

I ask because I ran track pressures at 14-17psi in my boosted civic (1900lbs car) a long time ago. On the other hand I ran 20-23psi in my 240sx (2400lbs car). Both were on M/T 28W's.

I'm interested to see if playing with the tire pressure would help out.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I ask because I ran track pressures at 14-17psi in my boosted civic (1900lbs car) a long time ago. On the other hand I ran 20-23psi in my 240sx (2400lbs car). Both were on M/T 28W's.

I'm interested to see if playing with the tire pressure would help out.
It does. We are so light that normal pressures do not apply. At autocross, I’m about 12 front and 15 or so rear. Still playing with that though .

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The trick is to feel (or measure) the tires after each run to see where the heat is. If it’s hot on the corners, but cold in the middle, you need more air. If it’s hot in the center and cold in the sides, you need less air. If it’s hot all the way across the surface, you are where you need to be.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We have played with tire pressure a lot on the R1R's. Anywhere from 12-25. The lower the pressure the quicker the ET's, but the squirrelier it is to drive. We settled in at 15 psi for the best balance with R1R's. We started high with the MT's, but I couldn't stomach another pass. They are a much higher aspect ratio, with a flimsy sidewall was our guess as to the problem.

Whidbey Goblin

I just switched from Continental conti trac to Falcon Azenis AT660 because I have a track day coming up and I wanted something stickier. After putting about 100 miles on them I felt comfortable putting a little speed on them today. I could hardly keep it in my lane at 120 mph. I think I’ve had it to about 130 on the continentals. Gearing says it should do 160 but My car just does not seem stable over 100mph speeds. I had it professionally aligned and as far as I can tell everything is right. Maybe it’s just aero. I’m hoping to figure it out as I learn more. If I really want to go fast my Fireblade is good for 185.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Aero. There several ways to get the front end down, just need to decide how far you want to go.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Had sort of a weird version of the "How fast is it?" conversation yesterday.

My wife sent me to Subway to grab sandwiches for dinner. I had the Goblin out and took it to work yesterday, so my return trip (and thus, my stop at Subway) were in the Goblin. When I came out from Subway, there was a guy checking out the car. Real nice guy, a bit younger than me, ~30 if I had to guess.

At first, he asked me how I got a European car all the way over here. When I told him that the manufacturer of the kit is located in TX, he told me that the Ariel Atom manufacturer is in Europe. Just told him it's a DF Goblin and directed him to the URL tag on the side of my car. Aside from that, he had all the normal questions.

Then we got to the end of the conversation and he warned me: "Cops don't like these things, watch out." I told him it's fully street legal and he said, "They'll say, 'You can put that on the road in Montana, but that's not here!' to which I responded, "The car is owned by a Montana LLC, which is owned by me. All the paperwork I need is in my glove box, I welcome a cop to stop me."

He seemed pretty insistent. Oh well... just thought I'd share. :D

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
He's probably right to some extent. There will be some cops that won't like you "circumventing" the state law and will find something to give you a ticket for. Going 46mph in a 45 zone type BS.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I love loopholes. :cool:

riding sport bikes for the last 25 years, I always get the “don’t let cops catch you (insert whatever they are afraid of)”. I now get the same in the goblin. I live in a small town. The cops are -penises- they hate everyone, but mostly outsiders. They eat at the same restaurant (the only one in town) we do on fridays. I have watched them stare at the car and run the numbers. While on a drive, I had one hook a U and ride my -back side- for a few miles until I guess he figured out, it’s legal.

I’m sure I’ll get pulled over sooner or later, but unless I’m doing something stupid, they got noth’n. Well, possibly one or two things, but they will have to find them. :p

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I have had no less than 10 cops pull up behind me and follow me for a few miles. I always feel like this is the one, and they always pull away after a few miles. I think they run the plate and see it's legit and go on about their day.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I just switched from Continental conti trac to Falcon Azenis AT660 because I have a track day coming up and I wanted something stickier. After putting about 100 miles on them I felt comfortable putting a little speed on them today. I could hardly keep it in my lane at 120 mph. I think I’ve had it to about 130 on the continentals. Gearing says it should do 160 but My car just does not seem stable over 100mph speeds. I had it professionally aligned and as far as I can tell everything is right. Maybe it’s just aero. I’m hoping to figure it out as I learn more. If I really want to go fast my Fireblade is good for 185.
We had a bunch of camber in our car. 7 deg, I think,. Made it handle really well below 80mph, but from 80-100 it would start to get "darty", if that's a word. We then started doing drag races and I figured no need for camber there. I was right. It handles like a dream at 135. I think what happens, is a tire wants to turn when it's falling over, and when both tires are "falling over" in opposite directions, they fight over who gets control. Just my two cents, but it's an easy experiment. Just keep track of how many "turns" and or "flats" you move it and put it back if it doesn't help.