How hard it is to make a kit car?

florida_man

Hello folks, this is my first post, so I'll introduce myself. (There should be a new member sub forum.) As a college student, I don't have the time money or space to buy a kit. But I do have a lot of interest in cars and want to understand them. I do plan to buy one a few years later when I got the funds and place. I figure I should learn as much as I can and help keep the small community alive.

Part of that is reading as much about kit cars as I can. I noticed that there is a lot of older posts about kit cars that are out of production. Many British kit cars that are out of production. Most of the kit cars that are still made and been in production for years are expensive like SLC, Factory Five GTM, etc. While the Ecotec exists, there is a huge performance difference between the TC Goblin and a stock Miata.

It seems like kit cars come and go as the seasons. In the Kickstarter world, one of the biggest unexpected challenges is actually making the product. Labor, factory space, materials are things that people just don't think about.

That leads me to why I like the DF Goblin so much. It's not that just that it is fast, but it actually high quality and exists. The most underrated part of manufacturing is the skilled labor and expertise. Usually, people have a great idea and bumble around for years to make it right. A lot of the times, they burn through all the funds and the project fails. Here we already have skilled expertise since DF is in the aerospace industry and the passion to see the Goblin created. From what I read, this is a very rare combination and necessary to actual make any good product.

To me, the most amazing parts of the Goblin project was actually seeing professional welders, jigs, CNC design, and very nicely machined uprights. To really understand the difference, look at Locost car kits, where you weld the entire frame and source all the parts. The shortest possible time is 400 hours from what I read. That's not counting all the possible ways to ruin your car. There are also mid engine versions.

Anyway, I started this topic because I don't see much people talk about manufacturing kits. I hope that Andy can add his view actually running a manufacturing company.

RouteAbel

When I picked up my kit Lonny and Adam told me a bit about how they went about conceiving and iterating through the design. Really interesting. One thing they said that aligns with your observation was that at first they were worried about someone copying them but they soon realized if they hadn't already had the land, buildings, and tools that the barrier to entry was too high for anyone to want to do that.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome. Interesting link to the mini build. Curious why you are asking about designing a kit car? Yes, kit car manufacturers seem to come and go, but there are some who withstand the test of time as you have mentioned. With DoyleFab being an established company and the Goblin being a spinoff of their business the manufacturing of their kit car has a strong base of support for longevity. Having the Goblin Forum and the incredible support of everyone building a Goblin is the basis for continuation of the interest in the car and the help required to help ensure the completion of the project. This is the main reason I decided to purchase from DF knowing the backup support is there and seeing that Adam and Lonny are committed to the satisfaction of their customers. Their customer service and support is second to none.

florida_man

Curious why you are asking about designing a kit car?
If I can't buy the kit car, at least I can learn everything about it. Learning more things than not always worked out for me. Also, I find that I learn the most about things when I am trying to solve/understand a problem. It's harder for me to learn about things if it's don't have a clear idea why I am doing it. Originally I wanted to learn about suspension and wheels sizes to figure out the ideal setup for the DF Goblin. So I read a chassis engineering book. For whatever reason, that evolved to building things and motorcycles.

Here's another link about the DF goblin on LocostUSA.com.

It never hurts to learn things, so I keep doing it.

At the end of it, I can better appreciate the effort that was done.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Herb Adams Chassis Engineering book is a staple for anyone wanting to get more performance out of their car. I have that book and used the information within it to help tune other vehicles I've owned in the past - great book. I understand the need to know as much as possible about all aspects of any project - car or otherwise - not only to learn but to be able look at a problem from a different perspective. Sounds like you are of the same mindset and I respect that. ;)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I was originally going to buy a Miata and put a V-6 Honda in it. As I was perusing facebook, a buddy of mine posted a picture of a factory 5 that he saw in a parking lot. Hmmm. Kit car. That’s not a bad idea.

I began an exhaustive search and found both the Exocet and Goblin (which was just getting started as a company). After a few days of research, it was a no brainer for me. I ordered Goblin chassis # 61 shortly after.

Yes these things are expensive, but I’d say more time consuming (at least for me). I am probably going deeper into my build than most, but I enjoy the design and build phase the most. I am in no hurry and over time, more money comes available anyways. I spend about 4x more time planning and researching than I do building. Its incredibly rewarding coming up against a constraint or design problem and then coming up with a solution.

Since starting my build, I have gotten very in depth with elecrical systems, engine management, CAD, welding, metalurgy, and project planning. Its far more additional skills I ever thought I’d get involved in but quite enjoyable. I’ve acquired quite a few useful new tools as well that will serve for future projects. I think its safe to say I will continue with this hobby full time once I retire.

Last edited: